Upload of images failed (app version 3.50)

I have a sequence of 77 images captured a few days ago which has not been uploaded yet. Today came a new release of the app (android app, version 3.50) and when I now try to upload the images it first says “upload in progress, processing sequence 1 of 1” and the counter rapidly goes from 1/77 to 77/77 (in a few seconds). I guess this is some sort of preparation process, I have noticed that this has been fast earlier too.

After that the real upload should start, but then it just says “upload finished”, but the images are still there (not removed) and when I log in to my account at mapillary.com there are no signs of any recent uploads.

Edit: I have the same problem with a brand new sequence. It says “upload finished” without uploading any images.

2 Likes

I stopped using new releases and installed an old mapillary apk 3.14 which has all functionalities I want together with the previous nice layout (indicating distance based or time based capturing). No gpx and no additional processing, no problems when uploading.

1 Like

I figured every one ran into this.
The way I combat this glitch is to take more pictures.
There is a percentage of any run that comes out as crumbs. These never seem to be seen again.
I looked through my phone.
They are no longer in my memory, either on the SD
Card or the internal memory.
Oh well.

I checked the memory card (SD) and the files are present on the SD, exactly where the settings in mapillary says they should be stored. Image files + gpx file. So why why why does Mapillary not upload them?

Yes I have the same problem on my Galaxy S3, I can’t upload any images!

I’m “happy” to hear I’m not the only one :smirk:
Since the images still remain on my SD card i uploaded them manually through the website. But then all the photo angles are lost and had to be corrected manually… :confused:

1 Like

I have thousands of images to upload. How can I roll back to v 3.49 without losing my images?

1. make a backup of your pictures (copy them to your computer).

2. remove old version from phone, and switch off auto-update apps google play store settings

3. copy or download the .apk from a previous version to your phone (look for versions at http://android-releases.mapillary.io/ and e.g. download http://android-releases.mapillary.io/Mapillary_Android_3.49.apk ) and install on phone

4. copy the pictures back to the correct storage location on phone and they will appear in mapillary app in upload section

1 Like

““I’m “happy” to hear I’m not the only one smirk
Since the images still remain on my SD card i uploaded them manually through the website. But then all the photo angles are lost and had to be corrected manually.””

Last night something similar happened to me.
I was able to work through their not loading by leaving the app then coning back in.
I had to do this several times. Each time a few would load, then it would say “upload finished”
I’d go out and come back in again, run through all 3,000+ pictures in the pre prep, then load another small hand full.
When I was about ready to call it quits, the remaining 3,000+ all loaded.
Try leaving the app and coming in clean.
Worked for me last night.

@tomastomas Can you please send me the folder with these 77 images to logs@mapillary.com ,and the log after the processing is done? It seems that the info in the images is not matching the GPX track, so I would like to take a look to check on this.

Do I only need to backup the images, don’t I also need to back up the gpx?

@peter, I will email all the images, the gpx file and the log file to you, as requested!
Thank you!

OK here is another weird thing: I just rolled back to v 3.49 and tried to upload again and it is doing the same thing, processing images (counter is jumping around, not in number order) and then not uploading any, guess I will try and roll back further…

1 Like

““OK, here is another weird thing: I just rolled back to v 3.49 and tried to upload again and it is doing the same thing, processing images (counter is jumping around, not in number order) and then not uploading any, guess I will try and roll back further…””

It sure would be nice if this was figured out.

@tomastomas thanks for the debug data! It seems that some phones are not savingEXIF DateTimeOriginal, and not CreatedDate, only ModifyDate containing the capture time.

Can you try to use http://android-releases.mapillary.io/Mapillary_Android_3.51-SNAPSHOT1.apk and get back to me about that working better?

/peter

1 Like

Thanks Peter, 3.51 Snapshot seems to be working OK now uploading on my Galaxy S3.

Although processing is now even slower! I will see how long it takes to process 14,000 images!

I have had the same problem both on Huawei P10 with dozens of sequences.
I’ll try the 3.51 snapshot when I have a chance.

The latest (beta) releases have also been a bit “sloppy” / buggy in taking photos. That is, the app takes pretty long breaks at times from taking photos – and then it seems to play a bit of catch up (taking photos in sort of bursts). I haven’t checked even time stamps, and so obviously not EXIF tags of photos taken.
I did try to change the distance between taken photos (varying between 3, 5 and 10) but that didn’t seem to make a difference.

The newest versions have also had problem with remembering the mode of auto capture, btw. On my device with v.3.50 (and I think the previous, 3.49 I assume) the app resets the mode from distance based capture to time based capture seemingly every time I switch from auto capture to manual and back. (sorry for not posting this finding separately at least for now…).

1 Like

““The latest (beta) releases have also been a bit “sloppy” / buggy in taking photos. That is, the app takes pretty long breaks at times from taking photos – and then it seems to play a bit of catch up.””

I am seeing this happen too.
I don’t mind unless the long break comes when I pass an interesting building.
I’d like more control over when the frequency increases and decreases. Maybe it would be Nice if the frequency stayed static.

Same running 3.27 here.

I have always had this problem so I don’t do manual shots often I just kept it on distance based.

Older versions of Mapillary (I use 3.27 due to too many other major issues now) while in distance mode you could touch the screen and it will take a shot manually and add it to the current sequence. It looks like the newer versions with the newer camera GUI no longer does this.