Takeout feature to export our data

Hi there, the GDPR states that every website collecting user data should give to its users a way to massively export their data in a simple way (not a command line tool, which there is not either). Facebook and Google has this feature to request an archive containing pictures and json data, why is there nothing like this on Mapillary?

This is a big problem as more and more people want to have a proper backup with exif data inside of their photos, to import it to other services like panoramax or whatever, but no way to do so.
Who can reach the developer team to comply with law and hear their userbase? Should we unionize with some authority to have this feature which is mandatory in Europe since 2016, nearly 10 years ago?

6 Likes

why don’t you contact facebook you mentioned. they own mapillary, don’t they?

@googie i did wrote to the support a few years ago about that, but they just never answered. So i hope that if a few people have feedback about a similar experience it would be easier to get it to work more quickly

1 Like

Hi @tykayn, FYI that while there is no UI, you can get all of the images you have uploaded to Mapillary using the “creator” field in the API and the thumb_original_url
field: API Documentation

1 Like

First, the download_images.py program was deleted during a “Python3 support” pull request:

Then, download.py was deleted during an “add API v4 support” pull request along with the entire readme section on how to download images.

Both of these were snuck into squashed commits in pull requests that have unrelated titles.

Now, the only way to download your images is through non-obvious API calls. In my opinion, this is a case of enshittification by making it harder and harder for users to extract their own CC BY-SA licensed images.

The ignoring of @tykayn’s request may breach the GDPR’s data portability requirements since you must inform a user who makes a request without undue delay and within one month.

Secondly, only being able to access your data by an obscure API endpoint may also breach GDPR’s data portability requirement. I am not a lawyer and this is not legally actionable.

2 Likes

I am trying to download all of my images with the following query:
https://graph.mapillary.com/<image_id>?access_token=<access_token>&fields=thumb_original_url,creator&creator-username=<username>.

I haven’t yet figured out how to download all of my images in one query or if that is even achievable.

It’s problematic that to obtain my images, I need an access token which is obtained by clicking “Register Application” on this page which won’t let me get an API access token unless I provide a company name and a company website.

Even then, if I am able to get an API token, my one downloaded image’s metadata has been stripped of the GPS coordinates and creation date which is important information for archiving our own CC-BY-SA images.

Heya Mapillary team, this is giving Mapillary bad name on social media as well.
What are the plans to fix image downloads (for example, by having a documented API that does not strip crucial info like timestamp, coordinates and heading)?

2 Likes

Hi @Richlv, @MossTown could you take a look at the API documentation at API Documentation (Image section).

There is documentation there for how to get the image itself (thumb_original_url) as well as all of the metadata (captured_at, compass_angle, geometry, and many others). It does require someone to call the API, but the data should all be there. I believe the data is not stored as part of the jpeg itself for performance and searchability, but all the data is available and can be written back to the jpeg if that’s what you would like. Here’s one example of a script which does this.

3 Likes