After Facebook takeover: how to download & delete all images

Hey,
it would be nice if Mapillary would offer an easy way to download/save the own images (unblured & max resolution).

in the meantime i found two helpfull thirdparty tools:

Download and save:

delete all own images:

2 Likes

Quoting from Terms of Use :

You and each Mapillary User hereby grant to us the perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, sub-licensable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works of, perform, display and distribute without restriction (including via any medium) Content, in whole or in part, for commercial and non-commercial purposes, including (a) for purposes of providing, developing, improving, making available (including via public search engines), promoting and marketing the Mapillary Solution and (b) making available Mapillary User Content under the Outbound Terms.

I’m not a lawyer, and there might be a million details in here, but it does not seem that retroactive revoking is an option.

if you delete all your own images (manually or using a script) it will mainly hurt the openstreetmap community, while it is probable mapillary has still a copy of your files even after removing them from the map

1 Like

Hence the “download” first. Upload all images to openstreetcam instead.

I have decided that I will no longer upload images for mapillary after the company was aquired by the largest and most evil of all online services :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ow, man, why Facebook?! If there is one company I don’t trust, it’s Facebook… I thought that all the images I uploaded may not be used commercially? Now the can? This sucks

2 Likes

Yeah, that was a bit of a slap in the face.

Mapillary was already able to use the images commercially. Now it’s free for everyone.

@Maltis, does the export include the (corrected) geo-data?

these downloads contain geo-data (I think it is the latest corrected position).

Also the Exif ImageDescription field created when using the android app is present (that mapillary added json string {“MAPLatitude”: … } which probably contains the original uncorrected geolocation )

1 Like

I think that a GDPR request for the deletion of your imagery is a useless and pure symbolic action. Take a good look at the terms of Mapillary, section 2.2:

You acknowledge and agree that we may continue to store, display and otherwise exercise the rights set forth in section 1.3 above with respect to your Content even after termination, deactivation, or archiving of your account.

Concerning things like this, I hate symbolics. What has passed, has passed. The future is the thing we can influence.

1 Like

I have a bit of a problem with openstreetcam.
I don’t get it. There are only dashcam videos there. What am i suposed to do with that? Or is it just the ios app? I think it has a lot of potential but they have to do a lot of work.

“they” certainly do… And if you want you can probably be part of they :slight_smile:

I can verify that the lat/lon in the image file is the corrected GPS data