Download Mapilarry images with API v4

Hi,

I’m using python. Given coordinates, I’d like to download the nearest image from Mapilarry. How do I do this?

Thanks

3 Likes

Exactly the question I’m looking for an answer for.
Surprised the document has nothing for it.

@LiamMacLean Here is a good way to get images in a bounding box, which you can adapt to do a distance search. We may have some new tools soon to make this even easier in Python.

https://gist.github.com/cbeddow/74b3bb7f7d69f52a7b0fc0e221be5ff5

1 Like

@chrisbeddow I think that script only download the metadata, not the images itself. Perhaps we can download images using its id?

This script will get the JPGs for you: Download Mapillary images a JPGs · GitHub

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been looking for this.

Is there a way to download GPS position of the single images and the track (GPX, maybe JSON) ?

You can download tiles with image locations and ids as geoJSON from mly1_public layer.

This is how I have done it - random-mapillary-stuff/mapillary_v4_downloader.py at master · taneljairus/random-mapillary-stuff · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks. I will try it !

Hey @chrisbeddow – any plans to expose raw (unprocessed) URL to the owner for download? Seems this has been removed from the response when querying sequences from authenticated owner (only processed image links).

1 Like

I noticed the option to download the raw copy has been removed from the UI too.

2 Likes

No explicit plan for this right now, but it’s good that you ask so I can mark this as a request. Can you remind me how exactly you use this?

2 Likes

Hey @chrisbeddow the use case would be backup. Sometimes I don’t have the photos locally available, and access to a Mapillary copy of the original is a nice to have for me. For me, it’s low priority (just something I noticed missing, really).

1 Like

Hi all,
I am new to the Mapillary API and have tested it´s capabilities in the recent days. With the JPG download script from @chrisbeddow I am experiencing that after some time(~20MB) the network breaks down and I cannot continue to download the street imagery. I have tested it from several locations (home, work, with and without VPN) and it is not possible to download a larger region with a hand full of tiles. The procedure fails already on the first tile (Tile 14/4393/6051).
Do you have any clue why this is the case? Is there maybe a limit set for downloads? The script is getting stuck on line 50.

I am thankful for any kind of help - thanks!

Hi again,
I figured out that from time to time timeouts appear. I have changed the code so that timeouts and retries are considered for the thumbnail creation and -download. Now it works like a charm for hundreds of thousands of images.

Thanks for the feedback! If you share your code I can add the timeouts to the example probably. Glad you found it working.

Hi @chrisbeddow, thanks for your response! Please find the project here: GitHub - tobesucht/mapillary_downloader: The tool provides the option to download from Mapillary v4 all kind of vector data and street imagery for a given region
The downloader has to be started via app.py. The connection-handling is defined in lines 25-29 and 37 in mapillary_processor.py as well in line 37 in image_downloader.py.
I hope you like the solution.
Cheers

In reply to your request for a option to download the raw - un compressed/processed images, I would also be very interested in such a feature to be re-implemented for backup and alternate processing.
@chrisbeddow - any information on the state of the request would be welcome.

So it is not possible to save a image in a resolution that is higher than the 2048 thumb-nail ?
And How would I be able to limit the image search to only include specific users or Organization_id’s?
Sample code would be very welcome

It is very evident to me that you are way more experienced in this, than me, this is why I reach out. I am on a learning journey here, and would really appreciate some help