Mapillary (Android) 5.12 is out

Mapillary for Android 2023.04.22-5.12.95

Intro

This is a significant release, as we have removed the old camera and put the new Camera 2.0 as a default one. The first release with a new design system, which we plan to incorporate more and more in future releases. The changes behind the scenes are huge, but the app has to be even more stable.

New:

• Camera design and experience.

Improvements:

• Orientation sensor handler.
  • Camera output quality.
  • Information feedback system.
  • Camera direction preservation between launches.

Addressed issues:

• Wrong map layering.
  • Crash on opening external links.

As always, your feedback is much appreciated.

Best Regards, Yaro.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this version does not work well.
I suddenly have many sequences of 1 photo, sometimes 4, sometimes 6, etc.
And sometimes just the normal sequences of 300 photos.
I experience this problem on both devices, the S8 and the A51

3 Likes

Same here. I just checked what I’ve shot this week. Most of the folders contain only the GPS-track and no photos at all. Some folders contain only 2, 5, 12 or so pictures. And only a couple of folders contain normal sequences of 300 pictures. So basically I just wasted my phone’s battery when was driving with the mapillary app on.
Seems like it’s getting worse with every new major release. Then they are trying to fix things up to break everything with the next major update. Not seeing any point to shoot with Mapillary until you roll back the Android app version.

Same here. With my Galaxy S10, it seems like the first 5 or 6 sequences are ok, 300 pics, then afterwards things are messy: No pictures at all, or just 5 or 6 in a sequence, then a break of some kilometers, then again 5 or 6 pics. With the versions before, I could shoot for hours even on a hot day with no issues.

Thank you, @Ser9ei999, @Teddy73 and @Lowiekse, for reporting the issue. I can confirm that I understand the issues, and I’ve seen the issue (once with the previous version and once with the new one). I will start working on this ASAP.

Apology for this to happen. That’s a severe and critical issue, and I will prioritise it.

@Ser9ei999, when you say, “Most of the folders contain only the GPS track and no photos at all.” Did you check the raw sequence folder and check this on a device, or did you check the sequence from the app (before uploading)? Please add as many details as you can. That’s new info, which changes the scope/area of the issue.

PS Apology for the postponed answer. I was off the grid last week.

–
BR,
Yaro

2 Likes

I usually copy raw folders from my phone and use the desktop uploader. I don’t even check the upload tab on the app.

1 Like

@Ser9ei999, @Lowiekse, @Teddy73 I have found a memory issue. Small one but it kills the app during a long capture. I’m still figuring out the root cause, it takes an insane amount of time, as I must wait from 20 to 60 minutes to confirm the workaround. I think I will push a first solution to open testing today (you will have a chance to update the build if you’re in the open testing, or you’re willing to join) and when it’s stable and a fix confirmed - release to the public somewhere this week.

The only workaround I found is to close and re-open a camera screen each 15-20 mins. Apology :frowning:

I’m checking on two devices, one-plus and S21. I would guess the issue I have is the same you have, but of course the final check will be with an update.

Best regards,
Yaro

1 Like

Thank you for the workaround. If you pay the fine, I will apply it while driving. :wink:

I have fast-forwarded the release process by excluding the usual intensive testing procedure. The new version 5.12.99 is in Open Testing.

I have tested capture with cadence of 2 images per second for 30 mins and 1 hour on two different devices.

cc @Lowiekse, @Teddy73, @Ser9ei999

Best Regards,
Yaro

3 Likes

Almost 500 folders with only 2.5GB of data.

Most of the folders contain only tracks.

1 Like

@Ser9ei999 I haven’t had this issue reproduced at any point in the latest build. Thus, it might be something different than I had before. Still my first question is, do you use version 5.12.99 (just to double check)?

If yes, did you experience camera freeze during a capture session at any point? This was the case of my devices, freezing approximately after 6-8 sequences. Splash animation stops working normally in this case. But splash marks the image taken by the camera, not saved. Maybe in your case it’s not saved for any reasons :confused:

And a few more, are those empty folders (only with a track inside) expected to contain images? With this I want to exclude cases:

• Camera is on, but sequence capture is not started.
  • Capture in blocked addresses area (from settings).
  • Any error message was on the screen (i.e. GPS, tilt, etc.)?
  • Could you share your app’s settings details?
  • Something else very specific, that images are not there.

How do you capture, or what is your usual algorithm?

• Do you minimize the app?
  • Do you start-stop the capture often?
  • Do you have a map or camera full screen?
  • What other apps do you open? (e.g. default camera app, which can conflict with Mapillary)
  • Do you capture it for internal memory or sd card? Switch between those often?
  • Do you have a rooted phone? Data in the path would point me to the direction of internal memory, which is accessible only on rooted devices. Not sure what it changes but I might have some ideas in the future.

These questions might look strange, but I can’t grasp why that can happen now. I found an issue which looked exactly like the one you had, fixed it but you still have an issue on your end.

And the final question, could you capture device logs and share them? In case I have no clue, this is the only way to find the reason.

BR, Yaro

@chrisbeddow, @asturksever have you seen empty sequences folders during your sessions at any point?

You both had long capture sessions, that’s why I’ve cc’d and asked you.

BR, Yaro

@Lowiekse and @Teddy73 do you experience any issues in 5.12.99?

BR, Yaro

Hello Yaro,

It looks like this version is working fine. I want to do some more testing to make sure it works well.

1 Like

Incidentally, just to follow up on earlier comments in this topic.
I also have a lot of empty folders left behind after uploading sequences.
I have to delete these manually.
On my old S8, I still manage to delete them, unfortunately on my A51, I can’t.

1 Like

I thought that maybe the trick is a high speed, so went for a few hours ride today. I will check everything now.

But to be clear, @Lowiekse:

1. You have empty folders after uploading. Are images from those folders uploaded, or they were empty initially (with GPX only)?
  2. Are the any gaps in your track after capture? Maybe those folders contain only a small GPX file which appear for some reasons between captured sequences.

BR, Yaro

I’m not sure about that. The GPX-files are all about 2 à 3 KB

So that makes this plausible.

But I’m sure that I have this never before the last 2 updates.

My answers are in bold below
And a few more, are those empty folders (only with a track inside) expected to contain images? With this I want to exclude cases:

• Camera is on, but sequence capture is not started.
    it seems like it starts. then the screen goes to the low brightness mode to save the battery. obviously, it stops at some point
  • Capture in blocked addresses area (from settings).
    i don’t have any blocked areas in the settings
  • Any error message was on the screen (i.e. GPS, tilt, etc.)?
    No messages or I don’t see them because of the power saving mode
  • Could you share your app’s settings details?
    Nothing special. They are the same as in the old version. I did not change anything. It just started after the update
  • Something else very specific, that images are not there.
    No. I tried shooting with the OpenCam app and it shoots fine. It just doesn’t have the distance based interval mode. So I rarely use it.

How do you capture, or what is your usual algorithm?

• Do you minimize the app?
    No, I leave the app open. It just goes to the power saving mode to not distract and save battery
  • Do you start-stop the capture often?
    No, I start the capture before I start to drive and turn off after I park.
  • Do you have a map or camera full screen?
    Camera full screen.
  • What other apps do you open? (e.g. default camera app, which can conflict with Mapillary)
    Rarely. Usually no other apps are running on that phone. I use my other phone for navigation, music, etc.
  • Do you capture it for internal memory or sd card? Switch between those often?
    SD card. Always.
  • Do you have a rooted phone? Data in the path would point me to the direction of internal memory, which is accessible only on rooted devices. Not sure what it changes but I might have some ideas in the future.
    I didn’t root my phone.

To sum up everything. I did not change any hardware, cards, settings, didn’t root my phone or anything. Everything worked more or less fine before the update. Yes, there could be gaps for no reason. Some days are better than others on an Android phone: one day the tracks are perfect and almost no gaps; the next day tracks can be off and there could be large gaps. But, all in all, you could get a descent sequences most of the time. Now, the app is unusable at all. It started right after the app got updated.

1 Like

@Ser9ei999 thank you for the image of the folder structure. I missed at first that those empty folders were created within one second period, followed by the normal folder with images, and then empty folders again. My guess here (trying to verify now) that there are no gaps in the captured area, just a bunch of empty folders got created. I’m searching for which process is responsible for this miscreation and I hope that I will find and fix it already today.

BR, Yaro

@Ser9ei999, thank you for sharing very detailed feedback with us! Just wanted to let you know that we’re all over it, working to fix all the issues you pointed out as a first priority.

Our main aim is to make the app more stable with every release and update. Some of the problems in the old app were impossible to fix without current changes. I will chase every issue you have until it is fixed, but in the end, we will create a solid base to prevent regressions and massive updates in the future.

If you have any more issues, don’t hesitate to give us a shout. We’re here to help, always.

BR, Yaro