Installing mapillary_tools on an Android device

I couldn’t find ANY guide for installing mapillary_tools on an Android device. So I took several hours of trial and error to figure it out myself! You can install mapillary_tools on an Android device without rooting it. Here was my process:

Start by downloading Termux, a good command line program for Android.

Then, install mapillary_tools according to Linux custom installation instructions on the mapillary_tools readme (mapillary_tools/README.md at master · mapillary/mapillary_tools · GitHub). However, because Python 2 is no longer supported, the “pip” command seen in the readme will not work.

Use the command…

pkg install python2

…to install the necessary version of Python. Then follow instructions as-is, but replace instances of “pip install” with “python2 -m pip install”

Not sure, but I imagine these exact same steps may be needed on any version of Linux, now that Python 2 isn’t supported.

Finally, on Termux, you must run the command “termux-setup-storage” to access the device’s internal storage.

As a non-programmer with a fleeting familiarity with Linux command line, this took me a while to figure out. I hope this helps someone!

2 Likes

Update: So far, mapillary_tools has worked very well on my phone! Much faster and better than the website upload. I’m impressed enough that I’m getting an inexpensive 360° camera!

I don’t have a Windows or Apple device, so this is the best alternative I can find for uploading wide-angle images on an Android.