UTC date strangeness

Also worth noting;

The date filter on the web GUI is UTC not local. In eastern Australia for example that generally transitions late morning and may be puzzling for a user to only see half their uploads. Simple fix is to label the search feature as “UTC date” although LT/UTC should be an input option.

The sequence thumbnails also have a UTC transition related problem by the most recent (BlackVue video) actually being whatever was captured over that transition first. ie the sort method appears based on MMDDhhmmss rather than YYYYMMDDhhmmss, but more likely to be that part of the tested date stamp comes from the start of sequence and part from the end. May only affect sequences still in server processing. I only notice this while checking upload status.

@nikola - what do you think about updating the label to read “Date (UTC)”

@bob3bob3 - let us know if you see the second issue with thumb order once a sequence has been processed - if so a link to the sequence would be great.

Sure, updated the label.

1 Like

@boris
This one still in map data processing - top thumb order problem, image at 09:59LT (23:59Z)

Next thumb down (also in map data processing) is at 10:42LT (0042Z)

The sequence thumbnails also have a UTC transition related problem by the most recent (BlackVue video) actually being whatever was captured over that transition first. ie the sort method appears based on MMDDhhmmss rather than YYYYMMDDhhmmss, but more likely to be that part of the tested date stamp comes from the start of sequence and part from the end. May only affect sequences still in server processing. I only notice this while checking upload status.

I think this is because while sequences are processed they are sorted by upload date than by capture date, which is correct. However, like all timestamps, upload timestamps should be in UTC but rendered in the local time zone to the current locale on the page. But, I may be missing something.

@gitne @boris
Well right now my thumbnail list is a mix of both server side BlackVues in processing plus some completed locally processed phone/EXIF ones, but the one BlackVue that transitions 0000Z is at the top one day ahead (but with similar times) as the other’s lower down.

I’d actually prefer the primary sort key to be the processing state, then date. (capture or upload) ie rather than date alone.

Whatever the case I’ll see what happens to the date/time when processing completes. Maybe in future the mapillary tools CLI with have some server side inquiry function that would make this easier. eg a text/csv only dump of own sequences/status that can be sorted and cross-checked with the local upload log.