Upside-down images

I’m new to Mapillary. Ordered my bike mount just after SOTM and I now have about 5 thousand images.

Up to now, I’ve been going through the sequences, manually removing upside-down images, but I’m not sure whether that’s right. Is there any way to flag upside-down images in my sequences so that they can be fixed? Is there a bot that can figure out that the images are upside-down?

And also, why doesn’t the Android client lock the orientation of the camera once the “record” button is pressed?

1 Like

The answer is in the forum.

Welcome @slashme
Unfortunately there is no fix for the moment.

Thank you! I have uploaded a few upside-down images. What should I do with them? And should I in future delete the upside-down images before uploading?

you could download the originals and flip them. maybe if you report them someone from mapillary can flip them for you.
I’d suggest deleting them, and maybe mounting the phone a bit differently in the future

The problem isn’t how the phone is mounted: I’m using the bike mount that I got from mapillary. Based on the thread linked above it’s a general problem with the android client: whenever the phone is shaken, which will always happen when a bike hits a bump in the road, no matter how the phone is mounted, it can’t tell which way is up, so every now and then a photo will be taken upside down.

Two things need to be done:

1. there has to be a fix where the orientation of the pictures doesn’t depend on the phone’s accelerometer. This affects the android client and might be difficult, depending on how the photos are handled by the operating system.

2. there needs to be an option for users to flag photos for rotation. I’ve looked at the web interface, and I can’t figure out how to do this.

1 Like

it’s not exclusive to android, and I think a different mounting angle might actually help.
There used to be (still is?) an option in the app to rotate pictures, nothing on the web

I solved my upside-down issue by installing an old version of the Mapillary app (3.14 or 3.27) on my new phone