Mapillary Missions for Android?

It’s been a while since I’ve not been active with Mapillary, due to the lack of communication I find from the Mapillary organization (almost seems a stale project tbh), but I’ve been more interested all of a sudden
I remember that iPhones (I think ?) could be able to have in the Mapillary app directions for capturing images in places where there is a lack of images, but has it come to Android yet? If not, is it planned, or is there something similar?
Edit: So actually I was referring to Mapillary Missions

Oh right I remember that one of the reasons I stopped Mapillary was because it was too cumbersome to always have a tab of Mapillary to see places where there wasn’t images, and another tab of Google Maps to plan directions, and trying for an hour to optimize it so that I travel a street only once

Hi @TheWonderfulTartifle - Glad that you are more interested, we are very active, both here in the forums and in the product itself. For example if you use the Android or iOS apps you’ll notice that they’ve been fully redesigned.

Regarding your question, if you want to have navigation and Mapillary coverage together in one app, take a look at OsmAnd where you can have a Mapillary layer together with navigation (and you can even filter the layer to show only 360 images or only recent images)

Mapillary Missions is no longer available (but might make a comeback in a new form in the future). I’m curious to hear how OsmAnd works for you and what changes if any you would like to see.

Too bad that Mapillary Missions has been discontinued, and actually I find that, in OsmAnd, the Mapillary layer is too thin which makes it hard to see when on a bike, so I guess I’ll just use the Mapillary app showing the map
Would be so good to have a feature, so that Mapillary makes a route for us to follow, capturing images. Either directly in the mobile apps, or on mapillary.com where we could set a zone, say that we want bike paths, Mapillary makes the route, and we import the trace in a mobile app like OsmAnd, just having to follow it

1 Like

One alternative I use is to plan routes manually using brouter-web and then export the route as a GPX file and follow that with OsmAnd if driving. The planning doesn’t do any automated routing over roads that don’t have Mapillary coverage but I can do that visually/manually.

If riding or running, instead of OsmAnd, I import the GPX file as a route into a Garmin forerunner watch or edge cycle computer (using OSM basemaps that I generate) and follow that route.

1 Like

It’s a good suggestion, we’ll consider that for the backlog, thank you @TheWonderfulTartifle - its likely a fair bit of work though, but very interesting for a long term item.

@ralley - thank you for sharing the tip on your workflow as well!

BRouter web client -when viewed in the browser- has the option to enable overlays; one such pre-defined overlay is the full Mapillary coverage map - find it under More > Overlays > Worldwide : Mapillary , but that’s a bit much, as it shows all photo trails ever recorded ;

Here around Antwerpen in Belgium the local authorities are replacing aging infrastructure at a fairly rapid rate - replacing underground services and rethinking the road layout - so that images ‘age quickly’.

what would be helpful is to set the filters on the mapillary/app page for time period and perhaps contributors, then be able to ‘export’ that filtered green dot layer for use in brouter-web via (on the right hand side) the Layers > Custom Layers pop-up :

that way one can leverage a ready-made OSM-based routing engine with the option to drag the route along literally scores of points-of-interest - and export as GPX while avoiding already / recently covered ways.

Until such ‘object linking’ the filtered Mapillary greendot overlay into brouter-web is available, the next best way to at least avoid own contributions is to plan the route in Garmin Basecamp, on a map with all recently covered tracks.

1 Like

Omg this is so useful to have the overlay directly on BRouter, no need to have a separate tab with Mapillary ! Thanks !