Mapillary Desktop Uploader for Linux is out now 🎉

Great news for Linux users,

We’re happy to announce that Desktop Uploader for Linux is out. Please let us know if you have any feedback, thanks!

3 Likes

I just downloaded the .AppImage file, I made it executable but it does not start with a double click or from the terminal. I am using Debian GNU / Linux 8.11 DE Mate. Can I rename it to “mapillary.AppImage”? here the response

$ ./An9AcNz6hotyYqmYq7GlWOgoU5kWS2zlx3tY2_8136o2BG6RTAzQQvHoaW9_m-UuqXVCrX1e3BmgjNsZlBtV54iTEUV8CsYYxr2Oikk7ID3-HPyMhscAA4sBTylFY1w.AppImage
/tmp/.mount_An9AcN22A2tC/mapillary-desktop-uploader: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /tmp/.mount_An9AcN22A2tC/mapillary-desktop-uploader)
[13457:0819/224449.952898:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_An9AcN22A2tC/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Trace/breakpoint trap

Yes, you can rename the file to anything you want.

It seems there’s an issue with Debian running Electron apps in sandbox mode: The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly · Issue #17972 · electron/electron · GitHub

A workaround is to use the “no-sandbox” flag. So, that would be “./mapillary.AppImage --no-sandbox” in your terminal.

1 Like

I managed to start .appimage, but I can’t login, it doesn’t give me wrong password.
“access denied” appears when I try to attach a 26 kB .png image to this reply, I don’t know why.

I know it doesn’t help you, @lary_fede , but I was able to use the Linux Desktop Uploader yesterday. I’m on Kubuntu 21.04. I downloaded it, double-click, and logged in. Then I was able to upload some images from a directory. But - it’s far from perfect: I had 221 images in this folder, all of them already with GPS data. 101 shots, then a break of some minutes, then the other 120 images. There were only the first 101 uploaded. The second “sequence” was forgotten. And I did not see anything on the map. Not before, not while, not after the upload. So there’s lots of room for improvements. But thanks anyway for doing something in this direction.

Oh… I just saw, upload stopped right in the middle of driving. It had nothing to do with the break. It stopped after 101 images for no reason I can see.

Here’s the import summary:
{
“total images”: 229,
“upload summary”: {
“successfully uploaded”: 101,
“failed uploads”: 0,
“uploaded to be finalized”: 0
},
“process summary”: {
“user_process”: {
“failed”: 0,
“success”: 229
},
“import_meta_process”: {
“success”: 0
},
“geotag_process”: {
},
“sequence_process”: {
},
“upload_params_process”: {
},
“mapillary_image_description”: {
“success”: 101
},
“duplicates”: 0,
“processed_not_yet_uploaded”: 0
}
}

@Teddy73 Thanks for reporting this. Please, can you email your log files to support@mapillary.com?

@asturksever : Thanks for taking care of this. But even with sending email to support, there were some problems. First, it said that the size of the email is too large for address support@mapillary.com.

The following address failed: support@mapillary.com: SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mxb-00082601.gslb.pphosted.com (67.231.153.30) reason: 550 5.7.0 Message Size Violation

It was 1.7 MB, which I think is not too much. Ok, I linked the attached logs to get rid of this, sent it again to support@mapillary.com. Then automatic reply:

This inbox is no longer monitored. For Mapillary support, please contact support@mapillary.zendesk.com.

Third attempt, I sent it to support@mapillary.zendesk.com. Hope someone reads it there…

@Teddy73 Mmm, Please, can you submit a request here?

https://help.mapillary.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Sorry, No. Everything is said, took me some effort to describe the problem and send the logs. You can do yourself whatever you want now.

I confirm that we’ve received your email and investigate this further.

1 Like

Hi, Any news here? Did you find the error? Is the Linux Uploader stable enough to use now?