Ios app feedback - manual/automatic mode

Hey-ho team, thank you for the iOS app updates :slight_smile:

Quick feedback on the camera mode changes in the latest version.
Previously switching from automatic to manual mode or the other way was one tap - but in the new version it’s 3 taps now.

That is very inconvenient when capturing images on foot, especially in urban locations - one would do automatic mode, then switch to manual to capture opening hours of a store or some other detail. Then switch back to automatic mode right away.
One such sequence is now 6 taps instead of 2…

Perhaps the automatic/manual control can be returned as-is, and the other things in “advanced” can be stuffed under then “?” icon?

1 Like

Another usecase that is terribly inconvenient now - walk, stop at the red light. Switch to manual mode and take pictures of the crossing 360 degrees, then resume automatic mode.

It’s understandable the app developers look at this from a car-mounted perspective, but these changes make some of the most useful images less likely to be taken.

Still the same in the latest version.

Still an issue, and something that slightly bothers me every now and then. Switching to automatic mode when driving is standing out.

it’s a pain, but considering manual capture compass headings have been broken (for me) for at least half a year now, I find myself using it very rarely

Manual mode is extremely useful still when going for better framed shots, or taking photos during lower light conditions.
A 360-degree sequence of a city crossing at night seems like a good idea, but the extra fiddling with the now-hidden toggle reduces the enthusiasm :slight_smile:

are you heading values correct when using manual mode?
I used to always capture in manual since it’s better framing and control, but the heading bug killed it and many good shots

I assume Page not found is the best report we have on that?
Commented on it :slight_smile:

yeah, there is also a 10+ email thread with mapillary support, but that didn’t bring me anywhere.
so, I presume you don’t have such issues? May I ask what os/device you use?

To keep things organised, replied in the image orientation thread - will use this one to bug Mapillary about usability :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still very cumbersome to switch between manual/automatic - both when walking and when driving.

1 Like

Has not gotten any better yet :slight_smile:

Heya @Anders, you recently said “I plan on being more active on the forum, so if you have any iOS feedback or wishes, just ping me” - so a ping on this topic :slight_smile:

This functionality is still much more cumbersome than in earlier versions.

Hi!

Thanks for your feedback. I get your points and I agree it can be cumbersome. I wasn’t aware that the manual function was really used.

We are actually planning on doing a redesign of the whole app. We have just hired a UI/UX designer and I will pass this information on to her.

The new design will probably not be ready this year though as the designer just joined and needs to be ramped up and actually produce a new design, perhaps do UX interviews etc.

Regarding the 360 capture at intersections, in automatic mode, it captures every 15 degrees, so you can just start spinning and it will capture for you.

Thank you for the considerations. I use manual mode for the mentioned 360 turns, and also for other situations like taking photos of entrances with house/flat numbers or opening hours, photos of shops along a street etc.
I’ve stopped doing the spinning with the automatic mode - sometimes the compass is a bit off, and too often the pictures come out blurry.
UX/UI redesign sounds promising, although sometimes it comes out… weird, if people don’t use the product themselves or miss major usecases. Hopefully it will be all good in this case :slight_smile:

Interesting to hear about the compass problems and blurry images. I guess spinning more slowly would help a bit, but I’ll think about if I can come up with a better solution.

When you take photos of shops etc, do you

1. already capture something else in auto mode
  2. stops capture, switch to manual mode, take photo
  3. go back to auto?

Regarding a new UI/UX, it always feels worse (at first) because it’s something you are not used to. Our main goal with the redesign is to make the most important and most used features easier and quicker to use, and the secondary goal is to make it look a bit more modern in some way.

Slower spinning helps somewhat, but I don’t feel confident that it will indeed capture everything in 360 degrees I want to be captured :slight_smile:

Yes, the sequence you described is a frequent one for me, especially when travelling.
Even if it’s “auto mode in car, manual when walking” the previous one-tap switching was much better.

“it always feels worse (at first) because it’s something you are not used to” - that is often true, but there have been many cases (some also with the Mapillary app) where I go “ooh, this is different, but it definitely is better, yay” :slight_smile:

Totally agree. The idea of the camera redesign was to make it less cluttered and hide all the stuff that were “advanced”, but still accessible if needed.

Hopefully the new design will solve a lot of things. I haven’t talked to the new designer yet, but if she’s going to do UX interviews, would you be interested in participating?

Yeah, could discuss it a bit, if that’s useful.

1 Like

Offtopic in this thread, just a usecase I’ve struggled with a few times before:

• Take lots of photos with the app.
  • Later take a smaller number in a sequence, manual mode - perhaps some shops, paths etc.
  • Being on the mobile data network, attempt to upload this smaller sequence so that it processes sooner for OSM mapping needs.
  • Have to cancel it for some reason - maybe the coverage is too bad, maybe there are a few new images that I want to save to the phone memory right away (this cannot be done w/o stopping the upload).
  • …and now there’s no way to upload that small sequence separately, it cannot be opened as it has been “processed”.