Delay in processing [2024 August][Resolved]

Hello,

I wanted to inform that we’re experiencing a delay in processing times of images after ingesting them.

Imagery that was uploaded mid last week will take around a day or two more to get processed. The impact on recently uploaded imagery should be less noticeable, although please let me know if you have concerns.

Apologies for the inconvenience. Improving stability and reducing latency is on the top of our priorities list.

Kind regards,
Balys

4 Likes

It is probably because of the good weather.

1 Like

Series taken 10 Aug’24, uploaded early Mon 12 Aug was already visible Mon end of day: that’s not really a delay …

1 Like

Please help: Sequences uploaded last Friday and Saturday are still stuck in “Map update”. No GPS-tracks are displayed too.

There are two other topics, that most likely related to this issue:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for reporting all of the issues.

We’re still trying to mitigate the processing failures - currently the main remaining issue is that imagery gets processed, but the map doesn’t get updated, which we’re working to solve as quickly as we can.

Issue that @brunofilmklov is facing of map update being complete but map data processing still ‘in progress’ is an unrelated one and should affect only limited number of uploads. That being said, I’m on top of that too and will post updates about in the thread:

Thanks for being so patient and apologies once again for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Balys

2 Likes

22 series captured on 10th August 2024 … Edited and submitted 11th August 2024 still in “Map Update” stage on 15th August 2024 … The dilemma for me is that when do I report this as an issue … on the one hand I don’t want to disturb the overworked admins (I am after all one of those already) so I check to see if others are having a similar issue first… but is my issue part of the same issue being worked on (in which case I just need to be a little more patient) OR is it something that is unique to the my submissions which needs highlighting? … 99% of the time I can submit on day 0 and see the finalised results on day 1 or 2 … but when it doesn’t happen in this time frame it can be 7 days plus days (and then usually within 24 hours of reporting it).

I think its great what Mapillary are offering as a crowdsourced resource … but I don’t like planning my next section until I have feedback on the last as I dont want to end up duplicated routes I have already covered… 99% of the time this can be managed because finalised results come back in 1 to 2 days, but when something like this happens it is a bit (for want of a better word) disappointing.

As I live and map in the UK there is only a very short season of good light / weather … So would naturally prefer to be out there doing captures rather than waiting for the previous capture to finalise. And I know Mapillary cant really do a thing about this … but why does the UK weather conspire to turn bad the minute I have the results fand the next planned route ready ?

That all said, please keep up the good work. :smiley:

Dear @TomBrough,

Regurgitating a suggestion seen recently:

• record your pic-taking journey on handheld/ cycling GPS or with smartphone,
  • export (converted to .gpx if necessary) and import that track in for example Garmin Basecamp, with one of the OpenStreetMap maps as background,
  • plan your next route as if your latest submissions were indeed correctly uploaded and processed?

You’ll avoid duplication of recent effort, can make the most of decent weather, and will have the track of a failed upload to do again if need be.

Just out of interest: how often do you experience that a series didn’t upload, failed processing some other way, please?

Hey all :slight_smile:

Processing has mostly caught up. If you see a delay of more than 4 days please feel free to report it.

Thank you so much for the patience.

Kind regards,
Balys

Here are three sequences from May I have stuck from ages ago:

• hR14xl8aViXrMmE6kFAZjP
  • axlTvSCfD0ZwL5FA6qrtiH
  • H80lmj9Icr5xKb7R2uDvWF

This is probably not related to the August stuff.

There may be more, but it’s impossible to find as I have to scroll through literal hundreds of sequences in the UI.

Hey,

Thanks for being such an active user!

In the past months we’ve been working hard to bring down the server-side failures. As you can imagine, there is a lot of backend and CV processing that happens for each uploaded sequence and for power users like you, failure of small fractions of uploads is, regrettably, expected. The good news is that we’ve brought down the failure rate quite a bit. We still have more work to do though and we’re actively tracking this and working on our longer-term goal to get the failure rate down to 0. Thank you as always for your patience and contributions to make Mapillary better for everyone.

Kind regards,
Balys

Not sure if related, but is anyone else missing traffic sign detections on the map/in iD where a sequence shows as fully processed? Eg Mapillary
I can see Mapillary picked up on the signs in the image when in full screen, but none of it shows up when I in map mode, or in the iD editor layer

Not sure if related, but is anyone else missing traffic sign detections on the map/in iD where a sequence shows as fully processed?

Traffic sign and point feature triangulation requires reconstruction (computationally the most expensive processing step), which apparently is on backlog, like @abalys has mentioned. Some of it may be already complete but has not been synced with the map layer yet. Mapillary has often tested my patience in this regard but in the end has also always delivered. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @GITNE - your answer on placing detected features on the map is spot on. Regrettably, the current backlog for feature placement is very big. Reducing this backlog and making computation close to instantaneous is a multi-month project that is currently on our top of priorities list. Hopefully that makes sense!

Kind regards,
Balys

2 Likes

is this still happening? uploaded photos 11.9. at 4PM, still in app FINALIZING…

Hey,

Thanks for reaching out. This is well expected - it’s only initial ingestion and anonymization that’s close to instant - the rest of the computation and placement on the map can take a few days :slight_smile:

Hope it makes sense - let me know if you have any other concerns.

Kind regards,
Balys

1 Like