A large number of photos will be deleted from the uploaded photos. There is no notification to the user

This is a bug report. There are three points.

・ Mapillary seems to make a decision not to upload photos with the same coordinates, referring only to the coordinates information.
・ If there are photos that Mapillary doesn’t approve in the sequence that Mapillary composed by dividing it arbitrarily against the user’s intention, it seems that the entire sequence is deleted.
・ However, it seems that the user is not notified of the deletion.

不具合の報告です。
・Mapillaryは、座標の情報のみを参考にして、同一座標の写真をアップロードしない、という判定を行っているようだ。
・「Mapillaryが勝手に分断して構成されたシーケンス」の中にMapillaryの意にそぐわない写真が存在すると、そのシーケンスを丸ごと削除してしまうようだ。
・しかし、削除したという通知をユーザー宛に送らないようだ。
という3点です。

緯度経度が等しい写真が続く部分はアップロード時に勝手に削除されてしまうようです。写真の内容と撮影時刻、標高(これはMapillaryは把握できないことですけど)が異なっていてもダメなようです。
また、トンネル内の画像もアップロード可能なようですが、内部的に勝手に分割されたシーケンスの1枚目の画像がトンネル内だと、高い確率でそのシーケンス全てが削除されるようです。

それらが削除されたという情報は、ユーザーへ通知されません。
地図上に写真が表示されないことを現認することによってのみ、その事実をユーザーが知ることが出来ます。

ですから、高速道路のインターチェンドなど上下に並んでいる道路の両方をキャプチャした場合には、同一の経度緯度情報を持つ部分は削除されてしまうようです。
クロスしている場合は大丈夫なようです。
少しの区間を並走(重ねてある)とダメなようです。

なお、多数の写真をアップロードすると勝手に複数のシーケンスに分断されてしまうのは既知のものです。

これらは、この春から「二重アップロードの厳密なチェック」をはじめたことによる新たな障害ですね。
お早めの改善を期待しています。

首都高速神奈川7号の横浜北線と横浜北西線との上り下りの全線を、0.2秒間隔で撮影した15859枚の写真で構成しました。
時速72km/hでの巡航中にその撮影頻度で得られる写真間の距離は4mです。
それらすべての写真のEXIFに正しい座標データを割り振って、Desktop uploader(※1) を使用してアップロードしました。

今、選択されて水色で表示されているシーケンスは、私の意図に反して自動で分割されたシーケンスの1つです。

このシーケンスの1枚目はここです。この写真を1枚目として以下の説明をします。

そしてシーケンスの最後は、上記の写真から数えて954枚目です。

その次の写真(955枚目)から1454枚目までは地図上で見ることが出来ません。削除されたようです。
私がアップロードした写真は、以下のようにつながっている区間を4m以下の間隔で撮影し続けたものです。

そして、1455枚目からは、別のシーケンスとして地図状で見ることが出来ます。

1枚目 : Spherical Image | RICOH THETA
954枚目 : Spherical Image | RICOH THETA
955枚目 : Spherical Image | RICOH THETA
1454枚目 : Spherical Image | RICOH THETA
1455枚目 : https://theta360.com/s/klNZXCy7AMYxctqlSSYsh4rjs

その他の区間でも、連続した写真をアップロードしているはずなのに以下のように削除された区間が存在します。

この直前のトンネル内も連続して撮影して、まったく同じ方法でアップロードしています。しかし削除されたようです。
繰り返しますが、削除された旨の通知は一切ありません。
トンネルを出たところからの写真は上記のように地図上で見ることが出来ますので、「トンネル内であること」が理由で削除されたと考えるのが妥当でしょう。
しかし、トンネル内でも正しくアップロード出来ている場所も多数あります。

もちろん、トンネル内の写真の画質にはとても問題があります。
もっとシャッタースピードを上げる工夫をする必要がありますし、トンネル内外での適正露出の差をどうにか解消したい。
時間さえあれば、トンネル内を主たるターゲットにした撮影と、トンネル外に合わせた撮影との2回の撮影を行えばもっときれいに撮影できるのになあ。それは次の機会に。

この投稿の本題は、
・Mapillaryは、座標の情報のみを参考にして、同一座標の写真をアップロードしない、という判定を行っているようだ。
・「Mapillaryが勝手に分断して構成されたシーケンス」の中にMapillaryの意にそぐわない写真が存在すると、そのシーケンスを丸ごと削除してしまうようだ。
・しかし、削除したという通知をユーザー宛に送らないようだ。
という3点です。

2 Likes

上記の「955枚目 : Spherical Image | RICOH THETA 」の写真と同じ座標の写真は、以下のようにアップロードが完了したものを地図上で見ることが出来ます。
Mapillary

見ていただければ分かる通り、高速道路のインターチェンジ内の別の道路です。
これらの座標の重なりを排除する仕様が不適切であることは明らかでしょう。

なお、このような仕様で排除していることがわかったので、
今後同様なアップロードをする場合には意図的に座標をずらした数値をEXIFに割り振ることでこの障害を回避する予定です。

また、同一シーケンス内であるために巻き込まれて削除されてしまっている部分については、これからあらためてアップロードしてみます。
「既にアップロードをトライしたものと同一」であると判断されてしまうのかどうか、乞うご期待。

I can imagine that the Japanese are not pleased with such rudeness.

1 Like

I think this was also discussed previously. While sequence cuts are definitely more aggressive, I don’t think (many) of my images were deleted. I can also still see “traffic light stop” duplicates

1 Like

Even if we stop at a red signal, the photos with the same geotag will be excluded.
I think this decision made by the Mapillary uploader is correct.

Photos that have been uploaded normally with the Mapillary uploader will be arbitrarily divided to the “Sequence” against the user’s intention at the time of processing on the Mapillary’s server.
And what I’m worried about is that sometimes a particular sequence is deleted altogether.
Below is a detailed description of the obstacle of “the Sequence which contained 500 photos was deleted”.

このシーケンスの最後の3枚は、「B13916.jpg」「B13972.jpg」「B14018.jpg」です。写真は連番を付与してアップロードしましたので、ここだけでも100枚程度の写真が「duplicate」と判断されたためにアップロードを阻害されました。
この判断は正しいと思います。

私が問題にしているのは、以下のシーケンスのラストの次の写真から500枚が、すべてまとめて削除されていることです。
シーケンスの最後の写真は、これです。

Spherical Image | RICOH THETA ( 「C10954.jpg」 )
この写真のアップロード時のログは、以下のとおりです。
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cA68lexJMHESpUMBxbQanYdTlB06LYXPoZKsfrpYrnxQaoHI0vXPWP1SRuWfU3uqJZqp_i6CjKgQc6_7gh5h-2oxKVKtEP_yMCFoOa1Vbe9LmLX_u4COB7RStqkggsSQeM-bIfmPT0jDwDCovuC3thAw=w1567-h1066-no?authuser=0

しかし、その次の「C10955.jpg」から「C11454.jpg」までの500枚ちょうどが、Mapillary Webに表示されません。
アップロードは正常に完了しています。これらはMapillaryのサーバー内での処理で削除されたのだと私は思っています。

「C10955.jpg」は、正常にアップロードが完了しています。

「C11454.jpg」もアップロードは正常に完了しています。

それらの間の写真も、私が調べたものはすべてアップロードが正常に完了しています。

「C11455.jpg」からは次のシーケンスになっていて、Mapillary Webで見ることが出来ます。

なぜ、上記のように、500枚丁度の写真が削除されたのでしょうか。わたしが問題視しているのはその点です。

赤信号で停止した際に、geotag が同一の写真は排除された様子も示しておきます。

以下のシーケンスで、Mapillaryに正常にアップロードされている最後の写真は、「B14018.jpg」です。

写真を区別するためには、交差点内の白いトラックの位置に着目してください。

この写真を Mapillary uploader でアップロードした際のログは以下のとおりです。

次の写真「B14019.jpg」は、geotag のチェックの次の段階に「duplicate」というログが書かれています。
その時点でこの写真のアップロード処理が中断されたようです。

なお、前の時点に遡って行っても、アップロードされていない写真を多く見つけることが出来ます。
1つ前の写真「B14017.jpg」から「B13973.jpg」までの45枚はすべて、「duplicate」となっていて、アップロードされていませんでした。

その45枚を飛ばして「B13972.jpg」が、Mapillaryで1枚戻ったところの写真です。

Mapillaryで更に1枚戻ったところの写真は、52枚飛ばした「B13916.jpg」です。

It is not intended behaviour for images to get deleted. As you mentioned, if the vehicle is stationary and multiple images have the same or almost identical GPS positions, we will not upload the other images.

The sequence cutter is not deleting any images, but just dividing a sequence when the gap between two images is significant.

1 Like

I used to make three overlapping pictures while standing still to have a half panorama. Are you saying that Mapillary computer vision does not see that these pictures are not the same ?

2 Likes

Panoramas are fine. I’m referring to images with the same compass angle, same GPS position within seconds of each other. It’s about making sure we don’t have thousands of images of a car at a traffic light or parked in a garage.

1 Like

I sometimes forgot to stop my action camera or it did not respond.
That would have been good news, so I would not have to delete hundreds of pictures any more.

That could also mean that pictures could be deleted when one approaches a POI slowly to reveal more and more detail. Mapillary should be the first one to use computer vision.

2 Likes

No. In that example you’re moving so the GPS positions would be slightly different.

Not true for small POIs, which have a small size compared to the GPS accuracy. I agree with filipc, computer vision is the way to go to asses if two images are identical.

1 Like

In a perfect world. The wandering of the GPS location while moving could result into the same location.

In that kind of mapping you’re likely using the app and not a dashcam/GoPro. The app will either take photos when the GPS position updates, or you’re in manual mode in which case the app will let you take images close together regardless.

Even with a GoPro, the GPS positions are likely different. Even stationary the GPS position can shift.

Computer vision is a good solution, but of course a lot more complex to implement.

1 Like

Hi, @eneerhut , Thank you very much.
I understand the original policy of cutting into sequences.

However, when I confirmed that I uploaded about 15,000 photos, it seems that two of the automatically split multiple sequences were deleted.
They are uploaded normally when you see the log of Mapillary uploader. However, it cannot be browsed on the Web.
(Details of the log etc. are described in the previous comment)

There are the following two sections.

Section 1
To : Mapillary

Section 2
To : Mapillary

Maybe it’s just that the processing of those photos is delayed. I don’t know the correct answer.

All the images I uploaded this time are in the following folders.

I uploaded about 15,000 photos with Mapillary uploader and completed the street-level imagery of the round-trip lane of the expressway connecting the following two points.

Note that the log file was excluded from the sync target due to the large number of files and the slow sync speed of Dropbox, but it can be submitted if necessary.

After seeing what’s going on for the next few days, I plan to split the photos into smaller sequences and upload again.
If I get errors such as “duplicate”, I’ll contact you again.

I just checked the backend and I can see you have almost this exact amount pending. They have not been deleted by us, but for some reason they are still processing.

I’ll check with the team to see why they might still be stuck in processing. To be clear though, they have not been deleted by us.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I do nothing and wait for it to be processed.

I captured freight wagons passing by. That is also geography.
So these pictures will be deleted without human intervention.

Hi, @eneerhut
In one of the sections mentioned in the previous comment, I could view photos that I could not browse before.

Section 2
To : Mapillary 1

I captured some photos in this section, browsing the photo connection information in order :

By looking at it, I was able to assume the cause of the trouble.

◆Cause 1 : Malfunction of processing on the server of the Mapillary
That Street-level Imagery is intended for highway interchanges.
The shooting car is driving along the road, but another photo may be inserted between the photos in sequence.
The photo is one of a different road that has a grade-separated crossing with the road on which the shooting car runs now.

Here are some places where I can’t move to the next photo without going through a photo of another road because there is no arrow going straight :

Scene 1 : Mapillary
Scene 2 : Mapillary
Scene 3 : Mapillary

◆Cause 2 : Inappropriate image
Some photos are not clear due to improper exposure adjustments when entering and exiting the tunnel.

For these reasons, I imagine that the release of the photos have been delayed because the continuity of the photos cannot be confirmed easily.

Hi, @eneerhut,
Currently, there are about 1000 photos that have not been displayed yet.
However, the number of pending displays is now 14.
Are those hidden photos not really deleted?
Why is the number of pending images so much smaller than the number of undisplayed photos?

Also, some of the photos seemed to be deleted as they were judged to be “Not street-level imagery”.
However, I can’t currently confirm the linked photo.

Is this normal status?