Uploading more than 500 photos still doesn't work properly with Mapillary Uploader for Desktop

Uploading more than 500 photos still doesn’t work properly with Mapillary Uploader for Desktop ( Desktop Uploader )

I reinstalled Mapillary Uploader for Desktop this morning. Therefore, it is a report of the operation in the latest version.

This Uploader stops working after uploading 496 photos.
I have no choice but to cancel and try the upload operation again.
Then the uploader will only upload one more and will stop again.
By repeating it four times, I can finally reach the process of uploading over 500 photos.

Also, upload speeds are slow for up to 500 photos, but faster for more than 500 photos.
Also, after that, there will be a short upload interruption every 500 sheets.

Is this the correct behavior?

Below is a screen capture video of the upload work of the two sequences.

This is the same symptom I reported here six months ago.
http://mapillary.trydiscourse.com/t/uploading-more-than-500-photos-doesnt-work-correctly-by-mapillary-uploader-desktop-uploader/4446

This is nothing new and does not require any action.
This is just a report.

1 Like

I’ve had problems with the desktop gui uploader in the past. I gave it ago awhile back and had similar problems to what you’re touching on.

1 Like

@potaro67v , hey my friend! Strange that you are running into such issue. In February I have been uploading GSV video extracted frames. Thousands of them in 1 upload from 1 video. Several long captures with these resulting figures. No issue. Have been using an old notebook.

2 Likes

Hi, @JoscTr .
You also find this strange.
I’ve destroyed a lot of server-side processing about my account by uploading a lot of data and a lot of irregular data. Both GSV and Mapillary.

I have uploaded tens of thousands of photos since last month, including:

However, my uploaded total distance display still shows exactly the same distance as it was displayed last November.
http://mapillary.trydiscourse.com/t/the-shooting-distance-has-not-been-updated/4698

1 Like

Hello @potaro67v ,
Strange indeed. I see that you are doing a great 360 job on that Japanese island, or do you have some buddies contributing too.

1 Like

Hello @JoscTr ,
My friends at Google SV have stopped contributing to Mapillary.
However, Mapillary has many other contributors.
It seems that very few people in Japan, like me and you, upload photos to both GSV and Mapillary.

Below is a map showing the area I took.

A small number of specific people in the specific area are working hard to shoot each region.

This is the area with the most contributors.

The map is quite confusing.
Mapillary is less fun to browse.
However, many of Japan’s Mapillary Contributors seem to be attracted to the appeal of OSM data usage.

In Japan as well, the number of GoThru users, including myself, is increasing.
Photos downloaded from GoThru cannot be uploaded to Mapillary as they are due to the incompatibility of EXIF’s location information.
However, I have completed the workflow of converting to a photo so that it can be uploaded to Mapillary by simply applying a simple conversion process to EXIF as shown below.
http://mapillary.trydiscourse.com/t/gothru-mapillary/4814
However, the best solution is to have Mapillary Desktop Uploader improve the interpretation of EXIF.

I usually don’t use the above flow.
I prepare a lot of photos with coordinates and then upload them to both GSV and Mapillary at the same time.

Hello @potaro67v ,

I surely have not stopped uploading to Mapillary and am promoting it wherever I can.
@JG360 Jim Gayes is developing work with the Sustrans national bicycle network in the UK. He has uploaded his pilot captures to Mapillary.

As far as I know, Federico Debetto has uploaded his Zanzibar project.

Why would one download panos from GoThru and not use the originals to upload to Mapillary.

As you know, I have the Labpano Pilot Era and Pilot One cameras with which I capture in Google Street View video format. I use Dean Zwikels tools to extract frames and have EXIF created properly and then it is an easy upload to Mapillary with their Desktop Uploader. I think using any other camera for photo mapping is just a huge workflow problem.

Mapillary and Labpano will work on a Mapillary app on the Pilot cameras. I hope that will open the way to capture the other way around: capture .jpg for Mappillary and then convert those to the GSV video format. The advantage is to have levelled photos. for Mapillary upload. Also, the Mapillary capture is based on distance and curve thresholds. That means having always no less and no more frames than needed, which saves processing and upload.

Bye for now, Joscelin

1 Like

Hello, @JoscTr , @JG360 ,
The appeal of Pilot Era is coming closer to me with your reports.
I’m thinking of going to Era for my next expensive purchase.

As for workflow, I’m more interested in getting started with the products that many beginners first encounter, rather than creating high-quality SVs with high-performance products.
That’s why I watch SV Trusted Help and LOCAL Guides Connect.

Google is starting to give a cold response to those who make Street View with cheap equipment. Therefore, I think that there will be almost no new entrants from now on.
Mapillary seems to be aimed at high image quality by some users, but most of the data is not for ornamental purposes, but for road information acquisition, there are many uninteresting 2D images. However, the analysis of the acquired data is quite advanced. I still don’t understand them.
Both have different personalities, so it’s interesting to see both.

1 Like

@potaro67v Why are you considering a Labpano Pilot Era and not a Pilot One EE?

1 Like

Oh, that one is newer and better.
By the time I can buy a new model, another generation of models may be announced.

@potaro67v Pilot One EE is not necesarily better, but it is smaller and cheaper. For extra battery capacity a connected powerbank can be used. Before the end of the year manufacturers will surely have released new.

1 Like