Thoughts or experiences with action cameras

Thanks Harry, we have one in the office already.

Hi all,

Would someone be able to make simple recommendation(s) regarding buying a ā€œMapillary suitableā€ action camera.
I see two main different possible recommendations:

1. integrated GPS
  2. no integrated GPS
    Those two main options could additionally include a recommendation for a reasonably priced (somewhere around $200 in US) and an I-donā€™t-care-what-it-costs (ie. best quality price ratio in higher end).

This should not total to more than 4 recommendations.

Is this possible or are there just too many options with different strengths/weaknesses?

Iā€™ll be traveling to US in a couple of weeks and have been thinking of finally getting an action cam to make my mapillarying more convenient (and less of a traffic safety hazardā€¦).

From what Iā€™ve read here and tried to look around the Garmin Virb XE seems like perhaps the only reasonable option for the integrated GPS class ā€“ and that really might make sense for me as Iā€™ll likely try to get also some other people to use it and so the convenience of integrated GPS would be obvious.

All recommendations much appreciated!

@jaakkoh I too would recommend the Garmin. I have the older Virb Elite, and the good parts are:

• GPS
  • Takes time lapses at a good resolution
  • Good battery life
  • Can be set to do a bit of digital zoon, so you e.g. can avoid seeing parts of the car.

It will, as most action cameras, only take a picture every 2 seconds. GoPro can go higher and some people have success of hacking a Xiaomi Yi (not me). Some cameras can go higher but only for around 2 mega pixel pictures.

If you want to go cheap, but very nice image quality and no GPS, the Xiaomi Yi is very nice.

Also remember to get a proper mount. Garmin uses their own mount that is not compatible with GoPro. If you mount the camera outside of a car, then always remember a safety wire. Get the largest flash card the camera can hold (essential when traveling) and an external power source (battery pack or car adapter).

Most other cameras I have looked at will e.g. not do time lapses at more than around 2 mega pixels, donā€™t have GPS (GoPro) and in general cannot do the slight zoom.

Me and @gyllen have been testing the new Garmin Virb X and XE cameras lately and while they provide great images at 1 and 0.5 s intervals, the battery life isnā€™t that great to be honest. I plan on doing a comparison soon, just havenā€™t gotten around to it yet. So far an 8 Gb memory card outlasts the battery.

Ok, so based on all it seems to me that Garmin Virb Elite is still pretty clearly the best bang for the buck (in decent quality photos series, albeit with no faster than photo/2sec). With an integrated GPS, that is. Xiaomi Yi is also very tempting. ā€¦ Perhaps a good addition to capturing while driving getting forward+backward at the same time.

Thanks for the recommendation @tryl & experiences with the Virb X / XE @Anders .
Does someone have specific mounting advice for mounting Virb Elite outside the car? ref. advice regarding GoPro above. Is there some specific suction cup mount that is better than some other, that is? Securing with a cable is of course wise anywaysā€¦

There is a thread about mounting outside a car: http://forum.mapillary.com/t/experience-with-mounting-a-camera-outside-a-car

In short I would say:
Suction cup: Do go too cheap, mount on a clean surface and take great care in doing it correctly. They hold up good when done right, but I have taken great care and had them fall off quickly.
Magnets: I plan on getting a ram mount. Again, donā€™t go cheap. Should not fail as catastrophically as suction cups.

Do not look too much at the integrated GPS.
In the year 2017 you will use a better external GPS receiver than the integrated one.
And a Mapillary controlled camera is important because unless you are a fanatic ambassador, you wil not want to do the upload hassle every day.

Hi!
I just have bought a Sony AS 200V action camera. It makes very accurate geo tagged photos, the mistake max (Ā±) 2-3 m.
The x1000V has the same geo tag software, just has a bigger resolution.

1 Like

How many seconds are there between pics? What is the resolution? How ling does the battery last?

I have made this photos manually, on bike. The cam is on my head, and the remote control on the handlebar of the bike.
When I bike on a path in the wood, there are no need to shot in every second. :smile:)
If there will be more experience, Iā€™ll post it :slight_smile:

Changing jobb next week and now I will be without GoPro camera :frowning:

Looking for a replacement I found this camera Buy Osmo with Sport Accessory Kit - DJI Store

Iā€™s way to expensive for me personally, but it feels like the ideal Mapillary camera.

• Build in gimbal
  • 3d button (camera rotates automatically and stitches the pictures)
  • and very impressive car and bikemounts
    Is there anybody who has experience whith this camera?
2 Likes

As I see it, the problem is that it has to rotate to make parnoramas. I guess it means it has to stand still.
At that price point there are other panorama or spherical cameras that takes a single shot (with multiple cameras), so they can be used in motion. But as it claims ā€œTripod-free long exposuresā€ it may have some ā€œmagicā€ to fix that? The gimbal is a feature I miss a lot on my bike!

Hi,
I found your post about garmin virb xe and GLO.
I have a GLO and I was thinking to buy the virb xe.
But after contacting garmin support they told me that we cannot pair the two devices.
However, it seems that you can actually do it. Are you directly pairing the devices or you are synchronizing the video file with the GLO data afterwords?
Could you as well disable the build in GPS if you can use the external GLO?
Best reagared

I experimented some months ago. If I disable the GPS on the Virb XE and pair it with the Glo, it works with the GLO. I do NOT synchronize afterwards.
If it is only for Mapillary, I would not buy the Garmin Virb XE, but rather a Gopro.

Melife Technology Co., Ltd is looking for Melife Sports Camera Agent.
Melife sports camera record those valuable moment with unprecedented view and bring extraordinary visual experience, let people enjoy sports fun and able to share it.
Here is our website: http://www.melifetech.com/
Here is our facebook page: Redirecting...

If you have the interest, donā€™t forget to contact me.
Looking forward for your reply.

Email: alice@melifetech.com

Hi!

Would like to know more about your cameras. Your website doesnā€™t seem to work, all I get is an error page.

1 Like

I work with Garmin VIRB Elite and Garmin VIRB XE

The Elite records when moving and record GPX in parallel with video in 1080p. I have set up script that renames the GPX tracks to combine with video file, making it easier to combine correct video and GPX if processing fails

The XE is set up to record when moving, but have to be constantly monitored, and until now I have had to ā€œactivateā€ first video of the sequence. It records GPS data in FIT files. Using gpsbabel I am able to extract GPX from the FIT files, though they follow different sequencing than the video files. The XE also records in 1080p.

Thatā€™s a great tip. I am also using Xiaomi YI Action cam and this idea helps me a lot.
Take a shot of gps tracker screen with gps-fix (to do a proper sync) and bulk-adjust DateTime with exiftool later during preparing the batch for upload.

All you need to do after is to assign gps coordinates from the track using mapillary_tools or Geosetter or Exiftool (I prefer Geosetter as you can adjust individual points at the same time, e.g. stick points back to the road while driving in tunnels and when gps fix is temporary lost). But on the large batches of imagery, geocoding directly with Exiftool is even better, while Geosetter starts lagging on 1000+ batches.
And upload at the end (web/desktop/mapillary_tools)

3 Likes