Thoughts or experiences with action cameras

I fully agree and like to add that Garmin is known to make nice hardware but there software is and was always a pain.
What I particularly like i that the Garmin Virb Elite doesn’t look like a camera when mounted on the bike so much, it looks more like navigation and the name Garmin is known for that. In privacy aware countries like Germany this is a big advantage not to be bothered while mapping.

@DaCor please see http://forum.mapillary.com/t/running-the-python-scripts/130 and write in that topic if you can get it running as far as I have written now. I still miss to write about upload.

2 Likes

I use a Sony HDR-AS100V with my bicyle (Intervall, 2 seconds)

1 Like

If you remove the battery, you can operate the VIRB from any external battery.

5 Likes

I drilled a hole in the waterproof case to use the usb cable while driving

It sure is the best, but on slightly curved surfaces it falls, so do use a security cable. otherwise I do like RAM Mount. It would be nice to mount their connection ball somewhere on the car.

[quote=“maxim75, post:11, topic:77”]
When starting timelapse I take a photo of my phone screen with exact UTC time. After that I compare it with EXIF timestamp and modify photo date time using exiftool. For example the following will subtract 9 hours 59 minutes and 58 seconds from current photo datetime.[/quote]
I you use the GoPro APP on hour android phone you can set the time to match your phone (I think it updates automatically) so you’ll always have the same time on your photos and in your GPS track

GoPro case was just $15, so I decided to keep my waterproof case for snorkelling. Taking videos of coral reef is also exciting :smile:

Yes, GoPro sync time over Wifi with phone. Downside is when you sync EXIF data with GPX track you need to remember what was a time zone offset at that moment. Was it +10 or +11 hours from UTC :frowning: and when you travel you need to remember time offset of the place also. I wish they had an option to sync with UTC time and/or add timezone offset to EXIF data.

My thought was that a waterproof case with a hole att the site propably is more watertight then a skeleton case and therefore better in case of rain. a bit silvertape should help to get it even tighter.
In case I want to snorkel, I just need to by a new case, but as you mentioned: They are not that expensive :slight_smile:

EOSfoto, I was wondering the same. I have a couple Garmin Virbs that allow for charging while using. That’s important for long road trips.

It struck me as odd that the new version, the XE, wouldn’t include that feature.

What is the issue with the Garmin Virb and sorting images? Mine have always taken them in sequence and I haven’t had a problem with sorting. Is that because I’ve been using the web manual upload? Something else? Thanks.

I have a Virb XE. Is suppose it was a design choice by Garmin not to load while in operation. I think they are afraid of short circuits under water. I ordered 3 other batteries, but a loader for them still does not exist.
Has anyone had a look at the better dash cams yet ?

@filipc I suppose it’s more a commercial choice. Like you wrote, you ordered 3 other batteries… :wink:

1 Like

@jesolem
I plan to buy a Garmin Virb Elite, but I am concerned about what you wrote : “the fastest it can do is 2s intervals”. The specs say “Choose your interval: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 seconds” (cf. Garmin International | Home). Are you using a different model from the one now selling ?
Thanks.

@LeGrandBlond if i’m not wrong, interval at 0.5 is for timelapse : video made from intervalled pictures. For “real” photos (ie full resolution, independant file), mine can down to 2 sec. only. Not bad for walk and cycling, but a bit too slow in car at high speed.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know about the new GoPro support:

http://blog.mapillary.com/update/2015/12/18/gopro.html
http://blog.mapillary.com/update/2015/12/18/gopro-instructions.html

(coming to Android too)

I know many of you have Hero3 cameras, I’ll look into adding support for them as well once I get hold of a camera.

2 Likes

That’s very nice to hear. I have a Hero 3 Silver and Android phone and I’m very excited to give it a try. :smile:

You can use mine if that helps

I can confirm that the Garmin Virb XE does take pictures while charging. Not certain about data transfer, as I always use a card reader.

It does include exif “Direction of Movement” information but not camera direction information. In any case, you’re better off calculating this information from the sequence.

I have a problem with mine where the GPS information puts it at a wrong spot along the route of travel. This is not the same as a GPS error, but what you’d get if manually syncing photos and a GPX file.

It is three months ago that I tried. Maybe there has been a firmware update.

Yes, the GPS of the Virb xe is not accurate. Have you tried to wait standing still before taking pictures ?
But it accepts the Garmin GLO as an external receiver by bluetooth.

The XE has a pretty good GPS, and mounting it on the roof of my car only helps. It just ends up as if it’s offset in time.

Today, with the latest firmware I tried again.
VIRB XE software version 3.70 as of December 10, 2015

Connected to a computer, the Garmin VIRB XE still cannot take pictures. In that mode it can communicate with the computer Xor accept electric charge.

I connected the VIRB XE to power only with the accu in it and cancelled “Entering charge mode …” by pressing OK for Cancel. Then I could take pictures. It is now even possible to disable automatic charge mode.

Connected to power only without internal accu, the loading message does not appear.

Conclusion = it does only one thing at a time.
Not being able to charge while taking pictures is not a problem because you can use a powerpack.