Telling folks what I do

Allen
You are my closest competition.
You need to go out and do some mapping.
You need a quick 5 million.

1 Like

Well, for the competition part whomever is R66 has been tearing it up.

For me, I just use it as an excuse to get our for a ride or a sunday drive to check out something new. It’s just become part of out and about, especially weekend trips.

1 Like

I have been asked what my van is all about on numerous occasions. Now I have the Mapillary mag sign on the side it looks even prettier. I enjoy the remote places and back roads, plus the technical head stuff to process everything. Its nice to be retired from IT and still use the skills. Am in Australia BTW.

The biggest buzz people get is when I show them my track on the web browser, then the roadsign recognition awes them.

3 Likes

Was there a reason to make the organisation “Australia” ?
I suppose it is just to try what that does.

Well I was asked to “join australia” by another user but the first time I tried to video_process with the BlackVue it got upset and lost me about 3 hours of ffmpeg processing. I haven’t uploaded to that organisation since.

I am still learning a lot of the processing steps.

Take a look at the new point features @bob3bob3. That’s going to wow even more!

2 Likes

Did you creat the magnetic Mapillary sign?
Was it on line?
I’d like a pair.
I have a web site i get magnetic signs made, Buildasisgn.com
Maybe I’ll make me some signs.
Where did you get the graphic?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Thank you.

Hello eneerhut
I am new here, trying to learn, where are the instructions to message another user directly ? I can try email them too if possible.
I found some nice photos and tried to search for the user listed to message them and request more photos but their user names do not show when I search. What should I do to contact them ?
Your user name is listed when I search though, and that is why I ask you since you are part of the Mapillary team.
Cheers
Rachel

1 Like

Hey Rachel, (on the forum) click on the users avatar/picture so it brings up their profile. Upper right if that screen is a green button “Message”

If you are using the imagery web page and are viewing someones image it is possible to comment on it. (Hover over the icons to find “Comment”.

It seems though that the forum and imagery pages are separate user systems. Not all photo contributors are on the forum and the user names can be different. Many however are the same.

(Sorry for busting in Ed)

3 Likes

@bob3bob3 is correct in everything he said. Thanks for helping out Bob.

Comments are definitely the most effective way to get in touch with someone who has contributed imagery. They will receive an email if they have notifications enabled and they will also see the comment in their feed in both the web and mobile app.

As Bob pointed out, signing up to the forum and to Mapillary are separate processes for the time being, so you might not find everyone from Mapillary on the forum.

1 Like

I sent for my press kit.
When it came all i got was a big envelope big enough to hold all I had hoped for. All that was in it was a form letter congratulating me for hitting one million.
I’m at 12 million.
No sigbs, nothing.

You mean sigNs ?

JB, you could use the images in this folder to create your own signs via the website you mentioned.

This begs a question. I’d like to be able to hand out single sheet promo docs. Is there a current PDF somewhere I could print? I am asked at least once a week what I am doing.

1 Like

Ya, well. I think Im done mapping.
I have no vehicle.

On my bike I wear safety working clothes and shoes.
People start complaining to me because they think I am a municipality worker.

I have other uniforms also, that is the effect of a uniform.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m Eesger Toering, have my own IT company (for 20 years now) and in my search for “Google alternatives” I stumbled upon OSM about a decade ago. Now I never use GMaps anymore. Last year I discovered Mapillary and bought a second hand LG360 and did some testing… I got more confident and have now bought a YI360. My plan is to make my home village the first village in The Netherlands (maybe the world?) that can show you every road, every bicycle path, every footpath (and more) in Mapillary. More complete that G-Streetview…

And then (maybe a bit sooner ;), then I’m going to work on a project to implement Mapillary, with OSM, with historic data of my village and create a platform where you can travel through time in my village!

Don’t expect results tomorrow… working on getting funding (need to pay for the mortgage also you know…) and finding the time to create this… but I’ll get there…

7 Likes

I’ve actually had a few people ask me why I haven’t been mapping lately, so I guess more people noticed than spoke to me about it.

The reason, by the way, is that the weather hasn’t been right. I don’t go out when the temperatures are predicted to rise to 80F (27C) or higher because they increase the likelihood of the camera overheating and shutting down the GPS. Those days also tend to be hazy, and I like the overall pictures to look nice, not just the road signs.

I may have mentioned this before, but I had a local deputy sheriff follow me at a distance some time ago. He later told me that he was just preventing tailgaters from following me and messing up the rear imagery.

That was nice of him. But I get very little tailgating when the camera is mounted. Whether that’s because people know what I’m doing and don’t want to interfere, or because they’re paranoid and don’t want to be photographed, I can’t say. :thinking:

3 Likes