Platform updates are live

Hi

A request for help, an observation, and a question if I may:

1. No login reset email received yet. First attempt was 10 hours ago (on the website), couple of attempts since, including on the (updated) iOS app. Still nothing (not even in spam). Help!

2. Just an observation: initially I could see tracks on the map (albeit with the last couple of weeks’ worth missing), but now I get nothing due to lots of
    Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://tiles.mapillary.com/maps/vtp/mly1/12/0/0/0?access_token=... (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' missing).
    in the browser (Firefox) console. :arrow_forward::arrow_forward: Edit: Withdrawn; this is now working again for me.

3. Question: I’ve a Raspberry Pi chugging through uploading a backlog of half a million photos using the Mapillary tools wrapped in some Python (one thread uploading, one thread scanning for folders on my NAS, ingesting and processing as needed so the uploader’s always got something to do, tidying up, zipping and filing away when each upload completes). At the moment it seems to be happy, but at some point will it need to re-authenticate? Can I just leave it going without having to worry about a huge pile of failed uploads, or would it be wise to stop it for now?

Cheers

On 1. Do you remember the last time you changed your email? I wonder if it could be going to an old email address.

Surely there must be a way to edit my sequences still.

As a new user, it took a few tries to get things right and figure out the upload system. I wouldn’t want to litter the map with incorrect data. I have sequences that are errors that still need to be removed and I don’t want to use a platform that won’t let me manage my contributions.

1 Like

Twenty years ago! So no, unlikely to be going to an address older than that! Besides, Firefox has the existing login cached, and the details match. It’s probably my ISP binning the messages - I bet the mapillary SPF record has changed to be more facebooky recently and something’s not caught up.

If the reset mail can be sent manually, I can provide an alternative address.

Edit to add: as I was typing this, the Mapillary June newsletter just landed in my mailbox, so that’s working…

To answer your current question: specific to my home network and my very own decision. Can be changed any time as I am the network admin.

To answer your next question: Facebook sells advertising to its customers (companies) based on massive data collection and data correlations of its user base and the rest of the world. This allows more effective microtargeting of all users and even of non-users and therefore higher than average click-through-rates.

Form an insiders perspective, but from a different industry and time I already know how well microtargeting works. At that time we only used public and published information about high level executives but from expensive data providers - therefore content relevance about the target person was generally given. My department was often able to deliver the nice little personal detail which made the prospective lead to sign the contract. Cash desk rang. Therefore I know it works when you expect it the least, even if you consider yourself prepared.

No, I don’t want to be a subject of microtargeting and being micro-manipulated into buying and thinking things others decided for me. Especially not from a company like Facebook who is willingly to do anything to generate revenue, may it crash countries or societies.

Never forget 2021 United States Capitol attack.

EDIT #1: corrected wrong word order

3 Likes

Ugh, just discovered my work laptop is blocking the mapillary site now. Totally assuming it’s the Facebook IP thing you mentioned… this complicates things.

2 Likes

No it’s not in spam. I tried several times now, no email received. I use the same email address for login to this forum, but with a different password, is something going wrong because of that?

This issue was resolved this night with mapillary_tools updated to 0.7.0
You need to do an upgrade to the latest verison:
pip install --upgrade git+https://github.com/mapillary/mapillary_tools

Github details

3 Likes

just realized that with removal of ‘Editing’ feature from web app - there seems to be no way to delete own sequences anymore?! So if I will accidentally spam the system with boggy uploads (erroneous gps data assigned), how am I supposed to request deletion now?

2 Likes

The Mapillary website is no longer loading for me!
Ah, it was because I was blocking Facebook. So it appears that to use Mapillary, I have to be able to access Facebook, which is unfortunate.

1 Like

This is not the first time I see someone mention a pre-upload pre-processing (say, to correct GPS fix and orientation), but is there any good link to read about how you guys do that? Thanks in advance!

individual workflows and tools used are very different, some use command line tools like exiftool and process images based on gpx tracks they have captured in various apps, but for final processing/positioning checks and alignment - I would recommend Geosetter

The new site insists that my account email address is not associated with any Mapillary account. I did however get the email announcing the platform update to my current account email. The email account we now use was set a few months ago from the original one we had for years with very low volume due to health mobility issues. The username for our account is ‘ramblin_jim_n_timlynn’.

If I try to sign on with my old original email, the error message is the same, that the address is not associated with any account.

I’ve written to the support@mapillary.zendesk.com address describing my issue in detail but heard nothing back yet. We are trying to launch a Medium publication encouraging mobility-challenged folks to get out and enjoy the accessible trails in our beautiful state of Colorado, Veloped’lin Colorado. But as we are dependent on our GoPro MAX 360 sequences in our Trail Reports, we hesitate to promote the launch until the platform update resolves. We especially need to be able to access and contribute through our user account.

Hope this is resolved soon. @eneerhut can you help?

Ok so the edit sequence has gone yeah thats a pain but …

As anyone else noticed that we’ve been reset back to a previous snapshot ? Some of my old troublesome sequences have gone but some of my good trekking sequences have gone also.

Are you guys doing to do.a back fill of map data ?

Geosetter appears to be an amazing tool, thank you!

Yeah, as I said above, my June 2021 sequences show up in Upload as processed, but tracks are niolonger visible. May sequences are OK.

What a joke. Not more able to edit (correct my gps errors) after upload, and not even able to delete them completely. Get it back up soon guys, this was a bad decision

8 Likes

Or simply correcting the image pointing offset. I just uploaded some sequences from an iPhone and even there, possible the most rehearsed usage case, the sequence is pointing where it shouldn’t. I can’t understand why I can’t correct or delete uploaded pics.

4 Likes

Same here! I use Facebook container and firefox with all block to maintain my privacy
I can’t open in firefox
Why disable download data? 6 months taking pictures with more than 250k images in mapillary. All that to download data to work in GIS and now we can’t
It’s disappointing

4 Likes

Many regular users, who had contributed millions of photos, already turned their backs on Mapillary after it was revealed who became the new (and infamous) owner of the website.
Some, including me, gave Mapillary the benefit of the doubt, but as we have come to expect from Facebook, collecting user data is more important than functionality.
Considering the comments that can already be read here, no one thinks Mapillary has improved, but I’m afraid you don’t care.

7 Likes