North American Interstate Highways

Hi there, planning to add ~280 miles of green along hwy 26 between Casper, WY and Jackson, WY next month and updating imagery on i25 around the CO/WY border (current images contain about 50% car hood).

This’ll be my first foray into interstate mapping… besides catching the green signs, anything else I should be cognizant of? Posted speeds are 70 mph along most of i25… how’s mapping at those speeds? I’ll be using a hood-mounted GoPro Hero 7 Black.

1 Like

You’re camera should be fine at those speeds, even on a cloudy day.

I think the question is what do you want to get out of this mapping? You mentioned the car hoods. So I’d guess you’re looking for some pics that are very human friendly?

Thanks @allen, that’s good to know!

As for the car hoods, I’m trying to prioritize areas along our road trip route for collecting imagery.

• First priority is areas that don’t currently have imagery.
  • Second is areas that have low quality or obstructed imagery (I noticed some existing images along the route that have a lot of car hood in them… Goal is to upload new images for these areas without car hood obstructing the view, per Mapillary’s tips for capturing images while driving)
  • Third is to update imagery that is a few years old

I’d be curious what your thoughts are on some of these

front exmaple – Mapillary

another front - Mapillary

side – Mapillary

another side :
Mapillary