Mount on helmet while scootering

I am mounting my camera on my helmet while I scooter around and so far I think the results are pretty good. But I was wondering a few things:

1. Does it matter that I’m capturing photos from the bike lane or side of the street?
  2. If I capture from one side of the street should I also do the other side?
  3. Does it matter what direction the camera is oriented when I am capturing? I currently orient it so the rear of the camera is in the back, but just wondering. (Using the labpano pilot era camera)
3 Likes

1 Like

Hi @OldManCelli thank you for the post.

Answering your questions:

1. Does it matter that I’m capturing photos from the bike lane or side of the street?
    It’s a tricky one :slight_smile: The answer will depend on the given road (e.g., if a bike lane is separated by, for example, parked cars from a sidewalk), and a given use-case (i.e. problem to be solved).

2. If I capture from one side of the street should I also do the other side?
    You have a 360 camera, and if both sides of the street are visible (no separator, parked cars), then probably one way is good. In other cases, it’s better to have both sides captured.

3. Does it matter what direction the camera is oriented when I am capturing? I currently orient it so the rear of the camera is in the back, but just wondering. (Using the labpano pilot era camera)
    To my best knowledge, it doesn’t matter for 360 cameras.

But in general, the more images the better.

@boris do you, by a chance, have anything to add here?

BR, Yaro

2 Likes

Nice looking captures and cool helmet mount! (Also I’m from the Boston area as well) :smiley:

1 Like

I just went out for another image capture ride at lunch and we HAVE to get a t-shirt that says “I’m mapping for Mapillary”. I had a couple people ask, “is that for Google?”, including a police officer.

3 Likes

Oh nice! Ha ha. That’s a great idea about the T-shirt, let me see if we can make it happen!

Did you drill those holes in the helmet yourself?
If so, they could seriously compromise the effectiveness of the helmet in preventing your head from being damaged in the event of an accident.

The mapillary map shows a direction pointer for images, which is useful, so please point the camera forwards when capturing if possible. It’s very confusing if you click on an image and it’s facing the opposite way than you expected to beginwith

Capturing from a bike lane is fine. Ideally we want images from all sides of the street and lanes, so keep capturing.

Yup - good point about the helmet safety and effectiveness.

The direction pointer does not appear to be tied to the camera direction for the camera I am using. after doing some experimenting I tried my last recording with the camera fully screwed onto the mount so it ended up being pointed to the side of my helmet. After I uploaded the capture and see it now (Mapillary) the directional indicator seems to be correct and does not seem to care about what direction my 360 camera was pointed.

Great to see the Labpano being put to use @OldManCelli. Bicycle lane capture is great and we need more of it.

Agree with Yaro that the orientation matters less for 360º imagery. Some people care about where the actual stitching of the images takes place though so that’s one thing to consider. E.g. if you were mapping points of interest on the side of the road, you might want the lens facing that way, but the Labpano is hardcore and has 4 so it matters even less.

Your images look great, but did you screw into your helmet? I don’t think that’s particularly safe.