Finally tried mapping 360 on my (motor) bike. This is my setup:
And this is one short (17 photos) sequence that I managed to get done so far:
My thoughts: It took a lot more time and effort after shooting the photos. First, stitch photos in batches of 200 (app crashes when I added somewhere less than 1000). Then, use the mapillary tools to add date-time, gps from gpx file with time-offset, remove duplicates, and interpolate direction. Then, use Hugin to fix horizon (never perfect, sometimes crazy), drag front view to centre of image, and crop me and my bike out. Only then ready to upload. Then, of course, I usually go through each and every one of my uploads to at least unblur, and this process takes more effort than non-360 because you have to pan to scan for the blue blur areas.
For bicycle mapping, I have a lighter bucket helmet that could be used. I tried mounting the camera on selfie stick on bike’s handlebar just to get it above my windshield but it wobbles too much, stands out more than just the camera on top of helmet, and of course I’ll end up with just over 180° of view.
Anyways, I am fairly happy with the result, but the process is not sustainable, especially the part where I use Hugin processing 1 photo at a time… Now I see myself only doing short 360 sequences and only for most nice places. For most roads, my normal wide-angle action cam will do more efficiently overall.