LG 360 experience

You could try removing the tab and use a right angle USB plug if you can find one.

Otherwise the next level would be soldering wires to the positive and negative on the PCB and powering it directly but then that is probably overkill compared to the simplicity of wedging it in your helmet.

Thanks Didz,
Yes, a right angle USB plug could be a solution although I still have something poking into my head and the tab must be removed. Besides, I’ve borrowed this LG cam from Peewee so I will not do that :wink: I better look for a camera that makes better images because the LG cam is not that good: bad stitching and blurry images especially in low light. So I’m looking at the insta360 one as alternative which has the same form.

BTW I’ve updated the video, here is the improved version:

And here are the Mapillary sequences:

Workaround:

I can put the camera from the top down and screw it with a longer tripod adapter, the flat round base will prevent that the camera can pop out of the helmet because it is bigger than the hole. I don’t feel it poking into my head. I can secure it even more with a tie wrap / lanyard to prevent it can fall down when I take off the helmet.

2 Likes

Here is LG360 and Insta360 One.
The narrow side width of Insta360 One is 24mm.
ファイル 2017-11-24 20 15 53

1 Like

@tankaru Great to see the comparison between the two cameras! The hole in my helmet is only a few cm that wide (see the picture) so the insta360 won’t fit inside, it is a bit too wide.

Here is another timelapse video that I’ve taken with the LG360. When there is enough light, the photos are not bad at all: Stoutenburgerpad - YouTube

1 Like

Very nice. Your backpack setup works well.

I have used an Osprey Daylite backpack. It has an convenient open compartment for a hydratation bladder behind the back where I have slide in my monopod. The backpack has a removable pad with ventilation holes where I’ve attached some shockcords to secure the monopod so it does not move. In this compartment I also store a powerbank to charge the camera. This way I can run the cam for hours without worrying that the battery will die.

2 Likes

There did/does exist a backpack with a pole for 360 cameras on it.
But I do not find it anymore on the internet.

Top notch DIY setup.

I would not dare to do that. If I fell the camera might give me a serious blow to the head.

I use a cheap selfie stick (yunteng 188 via ebay) and put it into my backpack.

1 Like

Got one of these. How much post processing needs to be done if shooting with the app? Want to keep it to a minimum

My second series (my first wasn’t in ideal weather). I am moderately happy with the result:

The image is a bit grainy and the stitching is quite poor.

1 Like

well, can’t expect much with this price tag

Looks quite nice. Remember to zoom in a bit in order to get Mapillary to load the full resolution image. Unfortunately they load a low res image by default, so it looks pretty blurry.

1 Like

Wondering if by chance anyone on this thread is still using an LG360. I pulled one out of storage and found that “360 CAM Manager” app from LG is no longer supported and it seems like the camera might be only good as a paperweight now?

1 Like

See my other reply. Camera is still working and is still supported by the LG iOS app and the mapillary iOS app.

1 Like

Got it, I was trying with Android so that must be my problem.

The last distributed version 5.2.16 still works on my Android 10 phone. This is the original .apk I still have from Google Play back then:

If you can find thad old apk somewhere you just need to check that it has the the same SHA256 checksum, and then you’re probably safe.

Hi nmixter, I’m hoping to get in contact with you regarding some footage you took back in 2017 to assist with an accident investigation. Could you email me at rconway@luminousforensics.com? Thank you!