How to capture sequences in the rain?

I know that inside the car wipers save. How to be the one who takes pictures with a bicycle? Especially if the place is far and infrequent in it. Share your experiences and ideas.

We are the slaves of the sun and the rain. But if it happens that it rains, then I stop and look how long it will take on my smartphone. If I continue in a little rain then I inspect or swipe the camera at every corner.

1 Like

I have thought about experimenting with a rain hood. Something that covers the camera and an area in front of the lens, perhaps 10-20 cm. For back and side cameras it should be easy to shield the lens totally from rain but for the front camera the length of the cover puts a limit to how fast you can go.

Unfortunately I only have little spare time these years, so it has never come into practice.

1 Like

It would be nice to come up with a janitor on the Gopro lens or blowing air from above. You don’t have enough time, but I’m not so “sleevey”.

Same problem here, tried filipc’s ‘wiping’, found that’d work for a few minutes, but as one gets soaked - including wet hands - these will wet everything they touch, thus soon no dry cloth or chamois left to wipe and even worse now leave smears worse than the raindrops.
A mini umbrella would do likely do the trick, and one made out of aluminium would also shield the camera from the sun’s infrared = warming rays on summer afternoons.

Firstly, taken a couple of measurements : top of Hero 7 mounting frame to bottom of lens approx. 3½cm, and as luck would have it, can extend some flat object (little plastic tray on which ice cream ‘yule log’ came also about 3½cm out front - measured from the front lens.
Second : cycling speed in the order of 18 to 25 km/hr makes 5 to 7 m/s.
Next asked Mr Google / Bing / Yahoo / Wikipedia about speed of falling raindrops, got a variety of answers, but in general : the smallest droplets like in fog have barely any downward speed, drops 1½mm dia. fall at say 6 m/s, larger drops (one source states 3mm dia, another 6mm) fall at 9 or 10 m/s - or Ÿinch at 20Mph.

Given no wind, the 1½mm raindrop will fall as many mm as the camera moving at 6 m/s travels forward, and as the 35mm overhang equals the 35mm from front edge of rain shield to bottom of lens this should in theory work to keep drops 1½mm and bigger from reaching the lens IF there’s no wind. Larger drops fall faster, thus wouldn’t reach the lens anyhow.
If there is wind, just add the apparent windspeed towards the camera to the camera speed : cycling at 18km/hr = 5 m/s a 1½ mm raindrop with a wind component towards the camera in the order of 2 m/s = 7,2 km/hr wouldn’t reach the lens either …

Now here’s a disappointment : it stopped raining. Was of course really looking forward to a dry spell after weeks of frequent heavy rain, but just now that I need that rain the sun’s come out … and weather forecasts up to and including Saturday show no heavy daytime rain to be expected : will keep you posted, though. We’ll then also have a look at fixing the rain shade, operating the shutter button, and in fact whether the theory actually works.

May I conclude by sending best wishes for the festive season, and hoping for all that’s good for you and yours in the coming year?
Greetz, k.

if you were moving fast enough, some sort of rain repellent (aquapel etc) could work

It seems that the easiest solution is to use “GoPro dome port telezin”. And we need to find out how it fits to the bicycle steering wheel.