GoPro Fusion - what is the right offset?

I couldn’t resist getting the GoPro Fusion and cut down the number of trips (to capture both ways) or cut down the effort of setting up one GoPro to the front, one in the back, and optionally one iPhone on the side window.

The resolution is lower than a dedicated device pointing e.g. forward… but it’s 360º!

I’ve setup my device to point sideways, to cut the airflow. The display points to the left side, so I can look up and see if it didn’t crash, so each camera points to the sides. The stitching line, at the front and back, are thus a bit blurry, but that’s ok, the signs are on the side of the road anyways.

I’ll provide further details on my process (it’s a bit painful), including how to get the GPS data correct, but for now I need your help to understand how to setup the offset of my photos, so the sequence points to the front of the car.

Here’s the test sequence I’ve uploaded:

I’ll probably delete this sequence and re-upload it with the full sequence, maybe even on a separate account, so I can easily distinguish between the pure 360º routes I’ve done and need to “complete the map”, vs. the previous captures.

As you can see when opening the link, the initial image points to the right of the car.

2 Likes

Hi!
We just bought a GoPro Fusion too. I can’t really help you yet, but please do share your solutions and experiences, I will get back to the thread as soon as we can start testing.

Hello ! I’m using exiftool to remove the XMP metadata (which prevent mapillary from reading the GPS data) :wink:

Having to remove xmp tags to let mapillary scrape exif seems like a bug. Having to keep a backup gps for a £500 camera also seems like a joke.
I got one cheaper, but reading this now not sure if it was a good choice since I already plan on a multi-hero setup around the car anyway.
Is it better to point the camera to the front since it normalises as forward-facing?