So, the new 360 GoPro is here, and as anticipated it’s neither a Fusion replacement (positioned as more of a normal gopro with optional 360) nor a successor (lower image resolution, and even the model code only got bumped from CHDHZ-103 to 201).
- built in touchscreen should make it easier to control and frame without relying on a phone
- (extra purchase) protective lenses, finally
- smaller size, mounting teeth now integrated into the body, lower weight (154g vs 220g)
- lower starting price (479 GBP/499 USD)
- supposedly better hw and sw, offering better stabilisation and extra modes - seems useless for mapillary though
- an actual new camera, not two hero5 bolted together, so one SD card! And in-camera stitching, both good and bad
- it will probably bring fusion prices down (at least initially)
- LOWER (!!!) image resolution, 16.6 vs 18mp - unlikely there would be more detail
- in camera stitching, ultimately likely to be worse than optical flow in Fusion Studio
- gopro seems to be mothballing fusion completely, even removing the product page
- GPS appears to be “Hero-mode only”, so just for mono-lens capture - what a weird limitation
- smaller battery
- no RAW capture
Some of these are properly subject to change, but I certainly won’t be rushing to buy one.
A shame really.