Erroneous blurs

Hi!
It seems to me that Mapillary is blurring more and more erroneous features:

For example, the place name sign in this image:

Or the these road name signs:

Or the hotel sign in this:

I contribute to Mapillary to later derive data and insert them into OSM. This king of blurring is really annoying.

Can it be amended?

Thanks,

Andrea

2 Likes

It seems that Berlin street signs also started to be blurred. Example: https://www.mapillary.com/app/user/eserte?lat=52.5508804&lng=13.2584998&z=17&mapStyle=OpenStreetMap&menu=false&dateFrom=2020-04-01&panos=true&focus=photo&pKey=172760492113901&x=0.11428188127936695&y=0.5117670809814316&zoom=1.179754864576905 (should be ā€œStraƟe Lā€ and ā€œStraƟe Cā€).

1 Like

Similar erroneous blur here : Mapillary : the blurred word is BROODAUTOMAAT : a vending machine where you can get a loaf of bread when the adjacent bakery is closed.

There is a way to suggest to add blurs, but in this case Iā€™d like to nominate a blur to be removed.

Looking at Mapillary : the name of the busstop is blurred - must be, as smaller print in destinations is readable.

EDIT (couple of minutes later) : not sure whether youā€™d need to blur ā€˜scoutsā€™ in the sign directing visitors along a public way to the scouts hall? Blur the house number of the Scouts? See pKey=112906941807960 , but sure no need to blur part of a standard sign directing people to an AED / defibrillator?

= = =

On a different note : it would be helpful if the contributor could step through all pics they submitted that day, rather than pick each individual batch of three or ten pics?

Another example: Mapillary
Note the blurred small sign below ā€œLandsberger Alleeā€ ā€” it contains the house numbers in this street segment.
(The house numbers were the main reason I made this photo, but luckily I still have the original photo available)

2 Likes

house numbers

:disappointed: Yeah, I am bothered by this for a long time too because I have also suggested to have a private 24 hour grace period for contributors to review and remove false positive blurs but to no avail. Fortunately, I keep my originals too. However, because I am unable to map everything off all of my imagery myself, some falsely blurred data will never get extracted by other mappers.

1 Like

There are definitely improvements that can be made to the CV algorithms here - its a tricky problem, and something we hope to look at improving in 2024. Thanks for your patience folks.