Distance base by Action Camera

You just have to learn to live with the eternal imperfections.
But the the heading takes some time.

Actually I don’t know about the door of the Hero 8, I was talking about the 7.

I tend to skip one version in every electronic device.

1 Like

Do you have the same problem with heading and sort of images on 7?

Can you check this image and the next one? all images are in right place, time of image are also correct, but they are not sorted correctly!
How can I fix this issue?

Yeah what’s with the app doing this lately? I never used to have jumps in GPS like this before

yes, gopro doesn’t record image heading, and doesn’t interpolate like garmin. You have to manually fix headings - if you are driving a car, you can just interpolate after upload, there is an option under “edit sequence” to make the images face direction of travel. This is my biggest gripe with gopros.

Image sorting sounds like a bug on mapillary’s side (I think remember seeing something like this where there was a spaghetti of green lines between photos). Maybe check the gopro clock, and try shooting at longer intervals

Also on your lens distortion point: Mapillary should be doing correction of this server-side, so it shouldn’t be an issue. You can take a look at most gopro images and will find they are not stretched out

Thanks for your guides,
I fixed the heading with related command line when I upload photos by command line,
I still don’t know what to do with image sorting, I checked images clock and didn’t find any problem.
sometimes this problem exist and sometimes not. Before I upload photos I check with. web uploader and if problem exist I don’t process and upload photos. right now i have many photos that i didn’t upload because of that problem. I wrote a letter to support about this issue.

A possibility, may not be helpful. (opinion)

Moving slowly through a canyon of buildings or tall trees will introduce multipath errors in the GPS position. Take a look sometime at a GPX file and a star like effect is often seen on a fixed position. This creates an erratic track for the photos to be referenced against causing random like interpolated headings. The first pass for sequencing error checks would then be to check the track itself.

Most of this can be “fixed” by the gps receiver hardware but it can also be done in software.

I think I found what is the problem. in some photos creation date of files have some delay or mistake!
for example:
time-lapse every 0.5 second.
file 100 creation time is 09:23:59 and GPStimeStamp in local time is: 09:23:35
file 101 creation time is 09:23:00 and GPStimeStamp in local time is: 09:23:35
I believe file 11 time should be 09:24:00 but I don’t understand what is wrong!
any solution?

1 Like

feel like this is a camera problem, where it can’t keep up with 0.5s for whatever reason. Typical for cheaper chinese kit or 360 cams doing stitching, but unusual for a modern gopro.

1. contact gopro and see if they suggest anything.
  2. switch to 1s interval
  3. mass-edit exif to make sure each is 0.5s apart. not sure how you’d go about doing this
    Also that last option won’t work if gps data is the same for both images

Thank you for your guides.

1. I contacted Gopro they suggest reset factory setting and reinstall firmware manually both done, but didn’t fix the problem.
  2. switch to 1s interval have no issues and is fine.
  3. with help of my friend and with python we made an exe file which reads the 1st image time and and 0.5sec interval to next images, fortunately this solved the problem, but need one step more processing.

Hope Gopo fix this issue in next firmware update.