Desktop uploader self-starting script

• Is there a script, way to automate the process …

• After manual preparing the uploader (log in, select folder ect) can it be set that is starts/run @ a select time (like after midnight, less traffic and 50% reduction on traffic amount)
    and when first pass (making the logs) is done goes to the upload phase, now it stops waiting for the click to upload.

1 Like

I’d like to support this request.

The command line uploader is ideal for automating uploads. I have this setp up as an alias under Linux:

alias MAPILLARY_UPLOAD='mapillary_tools process_and_upload --advanced --import_path . --user_name <USERNAME> --interpolate_directions --verbose --cutoff_distance 200 --cutoff_time 10 --duplicate_distance 0.5 --duplicate_angle 10'

Then all I do is change to the parent directory of the images and type MAPILLARY_UPLOAD and it automatically adds the compass direction to the photos (I capture with a GoPro that has a GPS but no compass/magnetometer) and uploads. This will automatically traverse directories below the current directory and doesn’t require entering a password after the first time it has been run.

On Linux cron could be used to automatically upload at a set time.

1 Like

Thank this will help linux users.
I am working with windows 10 … and not experience with programming language en command lines. The info on help page is overwhelmed for newbies.

Hey Jakka,
I can help you set things up if you like. I use the command line on windows. You can always re-use the same command, so it’s hard the first time, and then afterwards it’s just copy-paste

1 Like

Joost,
Could you perhaps post the steps -and preferably how to concoct those into a the batch file- here, please?
Looking forward,

Dear @joostjakob and Dear @Jakka ,
First of all thank you for the instructions.

Secondly : things don’t work on my computer, as follows :
On page GitHub - mapillary/mapillary_tools: Command line tools for processing and uploading Mapillary imagery downloaded file https://tools.mapillary.com/binary/win/mapillary_tools.exe and saved - three times, in fact : once on C:\mapillary_tools , once on D:\mapillary_tools and once on F:\mapillary_tools - the latter is the USB drive where copies of the pics to upload are stored.

Next step : open the Windows Command Prompt : three ways : a/ click on the four ‘window panes’ or on the magnifying glass and type “Command Prompt” , alternatively Windows System > click on the Command Prompt entry. So far so good.

Result :
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.900]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\myname>cd D:\mapillary_tools
[ENTER]
C:\Users\myname>mapillary_tools.exe process_and_upload --import_path “F:\200713ht” --user_name “koninklijke” --advanced --interpolate_directions --cutoff_distance 100
‘mapillary_tools.exe’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
C:\Users\myname>

Doesn’t make any difference whether I do this with the C: , D: or F: version

Question : ought one to save in D:\myname\mapillary_tools?

Yours stumped,

1 Like

Dear @Jakka, Dear @joostjakob,

Have also tried Jakka’s suggestion to use Windows PowerShell :
Can now at least cd , result :

= = =
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell Install PowerShell on Windows, Linux, and macOS - PowerShell | Microsoft Docs

PS C:\Users\myname> cd F:\mapillary_tools
PS F:\mapillary_tools> mapillary_tools.exe process_and_upload --import_path “F:\200713ht” --user_name “koninklijke” --advanced --interpolate_directions --cutoff_distance 100
mapillary_tools.exe : The term ‘mapillary_tools.exe’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• mapillary_tools.exe process_and_upload --import_path “F:\200713ht” – …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (mapillary_tools.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Suggestion [3,General]: The command mapillary_tools.exe was not found, but does exist in the current location. Windows PowerShell does not load commands from the current location by default. If you trust this command, instead type: “.\mapillary_tools.exe”. See “get-help about_Command_Precedence” for more details.
PS F:\mapillary_tools>
= = =

Followed the additional instruction : added \ in front of \mapillary_tools.exe , was now allowed to enter e-mail and password then processing starts, returns similar warnings for all images, like :

Warning, user key not in user data for image F:\200713ht\2020-07-13 11-51-13.JPG, therefore it will not be included in the upload params processing.

Looks like some other step is needed?

kan je uw mailadres doorgeven via prive bericht openstreetmap.
Heb wat uitgewerkt.

Although I’ve stopped mapping, use(d) the same screen name on OSM, Joost sent a message there the orther day, so it still works

how about if you change the above line to

C:\Users\myname\mapillary_tools.exe