Cheap Android for mapping

My mapping has been interrupted a few times because of incoming calls, so I’m thinking about getting a cheap Android phone solely for mapping.
I will share my iphone’s internet connection, cause I have an unlimited cell data plan there.
Any idea of what to buy?
Does the Mapillary app on Android store the photos at the memory card of in the phone’s internal memory? (I haven’t used an android for ages so I consider myself as a complete newbie again) :smile:

For $150 you can get something a lot more robust than a phone

https://smile.amazon.com/Garmin-Virb-Elite-Action-Camera/dp/B00EOHUVTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493253858&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+elite

16 MP CMOS sensor/image processor for multiple HD video modes 1080p@30fps 960p@48fps720p@30/60fps 848x480@120fps and Still image capture: 16MP 12MP 8MP
Long-lasting rechargeable and removable 2000mAh Lithium-Ion battery (up to 3 hr. battery life at 1080p) Rugged, durable waterproof (IPX7) with a compact design (1m/30min or 50m with optional dive case)
Digital Image Stabilization and Lens Distortion Correction with different shooting modes (wide/medium/narrow)
Internal micrphone and external USB jack with stereo Mic and composite A/V adapter Micro HDMI output for video playback micro SD card socket (up to 64GB)
ANT+ connectivity for remote control function w/ other compatible Garmin products and data transfer - High-Sensitivity GPS, accelerometer, and altimeter (VIRB Elite only)

1 Like

““For $150 you can get something a lot more robust than a phone””

I think I might try this.
I’ll need a different mount by the look of it.

Nice action cam, but I cannot connect my 360 cam to that one.

The Android app doesn’t yet support 360 cameras, but they are working on it!

1 Like

Good to know! Thank you!
Then I’ll stick to my iphone and divert the calls to a cheap GSM phone or something.

You can select where it saves in the settings.
I think if you have external memory it will save to that by default as I have never had to change the setting.

Sorry @Patrick I didn’t pick up that you had a 360 camera that you were using. You’re correct, there’s nothing to run that from something like the Garmin Virb Elite.