[bugreport] Some photos in a sequence get packed in the same place

Hi!

I am using the Mapillary Android app 3.147 with a Xiaomi Mi A1 and Android 9.

The problem is that some of the photos in a given sequence captured with the app, contain the same GPS data even if the photos are taken while moving. The GPX trace, which is present in the same directory of the photos, seems to contain valid data and can be used to correct the issue before uploading the sequence.

You can see the problem in this sequence (which I hopefully will manually edit soon or later): https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/LXXLxzq0XHDCqGsHr5_3oQ

Plus, here is a sequence that I have not uploaded yet shown in JOSM:

above the photos with the wrong GPS data; below, the same photos after using gpsbabel to fix their GPS data using the GPX trace (which is shown as a magenta line).

For any other detail feel free to ask.

Kind regards,

Marco.

2 Likes

Hi

just showing your device has not a good GPS and does not update GPS often enough.

amiga4000

Thanks for your answer!

Indeed, the GPS quality might be the problem, but then why the GPX trace (which comes from the same smartphone and app!) seems to contain valid data? It is a bit strange, isn’t it? :thinking:

Marco.

1 Like

I had the same problems, also with lots of “stray” images; and generally false location. If I afterwards correlated the images to an osmand track from the same (!!) phone, everything was ok. (see also Page not found)

A wild guess for the underlying reason: the mapillary app has a long “file save” cache and does not save the actual “picture taken” location, but the “save to disk” location; or it even might write the file first and modify its metadata afterwards, but then not with correct recordings, but with the current input.

@Marco: have you reported it to support@mapillary.com ? The don’t seem to read this forum, or at least do not/cannot show that they do.

No, I didn’t report the problem to the support team; sadly, until recently I just stopped being a contributor for Mapillary.

This month, on the same phone I installed (a newer version of) the android app of Mapillary which seems to work better although I have to set the capture time to 2 seconds or 3 seconds; in fact, if I set it to take a photo every second the GPS module of my android phone seems to go crazy and get unusable (can’t find any satellite) for a couple of days. Given that, I assume the issue may not be only Mapillary’s fault.