Remove unwanted areas of 360 Photos

I am collecting 360 degree photos I would like to upload for street view imagery, but it contains my vehicle and camera equipment in the same place in every image. I want to remove these from the photos.

Does anyone know of software that will remove that region and replace it with something else (blank area or blurred content-aware area, similar to Google Street View images) automatically, through some sort of batch process?

Dear @adventurediscover .

One way is to place some small (plastic?) sheet -to act as a mask- between the camera base and the tripod / mount : it takes a bit of trial and error but eventually you’ll be able to mask most or all of the vehicle and camera. This will leave the height:width ratio intact, which is important for Mapillary’s 360-algoritm*.

Another way is to crop the photo - most likely along the bottom edge ; free software which has worked well for over 20 years is XnViewMP - from XnView. Right-click one or more image(s) , pick ‘batch convert’ > crop : you can set any amount of pixels to be removed from one or more sides of the photo and there are other options to set the part to be cropped.

• Please keep in mind : Mapillary recognises 360-degree photos by height:width ratio , must be exactly 1:2 - that’s why the other way may need to be augmented with enlarging the canvas - that option is available.

Hope this helps you work out what’ll work best under your circumstances,

met vriendelijke groet,

Try the approach documented here: How to Add a Custom Nadir to a 360 Photo Programmatically (using ImageMagick) | Trek View

1 Like

They changed the URLs of articles, a currently working one:

2 Likes

To revive this topic - what is the suggested approach by Mapillary - is it replacing nadir part of the image, or is it cutting the image (if that would even work)?

Yes, the suggested approach is either to do nothing (which preserves maximum image quality and doesn’t require any additional work), or to black out the unwanted areas in the nadir part of the image. Cutting it probably will not work.

Great, thank you for the confirmation.
Did a test image at Mapillary - is a grey area like that OK?

Yes, looks great!

1 Like