Privacy concern related with trackers in app

Does Mapillary really need to use 9 trackers in it’s app, with some of them running in background even when the app is closed?

For example, I always see a TelemetryService running in my phone:

2 Likes

Some are completely legitimate, like CrashLytics, which is used to collect info when the app crashes. It is listed as a tracker because it does reveil information and depending on which app it can collect private information.

But others like Facebook Analytics and Google Analytics are the evil kind that collects private information. As Mapillary is a sweedish company, and thus falls under the GDPR, it could be nice to ask if they have a data processor agreement with Google and Facebook. It would be really nice it people would just stop using those trackers, unless they make money on advertising. Mapillary would not have to do this.

3 Likes

Unfortunately it’s common for developers to make use of the Facebook, Google and other libraries. They offer a lot of functionality but they’re also vampires when it comes to users data. I hope the developer world is waking up to the problems they bring.

Also, in the new versions of the application, not gps, but gms is displayed. For me, more unexpected in another application (in one application?) Was the rigid position of the screen at which the camera is on top and, accordingly, can remove the environment, and not the user’s legs / chest.
In principle, protecting privacy is not so difficult.

More details on the trackers and permissions:
https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/66001/
10 trackers
47 permissions

1 Like

Cool! An interesting site.

I usually download the app at mobidescargar. We do not encounter the situation as you

Wow. Thanks for this hint. I don’t want so give data to neither Google nor Facebook. I wasn’t aware of this. A hint would have been nice! I guess, I will uninstall the app now. It’s unfortunate, I like this project and I tried to contribute as many images as I could - but privacy comes first.

I know that at least Google Analytics can be configured by the developer to anonymize data in the app, before the data is send out. I am not so familiar with the Facebook tracker, but if it is compliant with GDPR then I would expect it to have a comparable feature.