Point clouds, are they coming back?

Back in late 2016 we were able to view this amazing thing called Point Clouds (sort of a 3d rendering), sadly as far as i know they are no longer visible to the public.

Is there any plans on bringing this back? I would love to show a friend a well mapped area that they might be intersted in with the point clouds and mabye in the progress get them to join Mapillary.

/mojmoj

2 Likes

Hey @mojmoj – We are working on point cloud support in the viewer and will be able to add this feature back after that, so it is on the horizon. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s cool to hear, thank you @Brenna

i used to love looking at the point clouds in photosynth, hours of fun!

2019H1

none (((

how to upload LIDAR data?

That would be really cool if Mapillary implemented a way to upload LIDAR.

1 Like

Any news on this topic?

ha yea LIDAR would be great. you could mapillary after the sun goes down, or when its raining. or you could drive facing the sun without having to worry about dark photos.
too bad you’d have to sell your house to buy one though

2 Likes

there are some cheap ones on chinese shopping sites, but obviously the resolution is like the early 360 cameras - useless

2019H3

none (((

Are there any updates about this topic? If there was already a feature a while ago, why has it been disabled then?

1 Like

2020Đť1
None (((

1 Like

After the acquisition by facebook, there might be some acceleration here? Also, there should be less necessity to differentiate between commercial and free tiers? What I would appreciate is to have some kind of intelligently visualized 2d top-view background layer to use in openstreetmap editors. This would enable mapping with much higher accuracy than with satellite imagery, and also would be much more current.

The question is if they’ll be hesitant about sharing point cloud data because of that reason.

Regardless, @Brenna could we get an update on this

Great, point clouds have been back for some time!
The 3D point-cloud view is sometimes very unusal. In the following case, there are at least 3 versions of each front in slightly different positions:

1 Like

- Mapillary
- Mapillary
- Mapillary
- Mapillary
- Mapillary