Mapillary JOSM Plugin Feedback

Hello Mapillary users! This thread is a place to post feedback about the Mapillary plugin for JOSM. Add a comment here with any issues you have, any feature requests, discussions of existing useful features, and bug reports or crash details. I will lead the Mapillary team discussions about JOSM topics so we can directly see your feedback and use it to plan the next generation of tools.

• Chris
1 Like

Hey Chris – check this out:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/A_360_OpenStreetMap_editor

From user @SviMik.

I was thinking about building this type of functionality into Map the Paths, but maybe there is interest from Mapillary to take on?

I remember mapillary once offered a point cloud view on their website. Might it be possible to project the point cloud to 2D to get a map layer? Similar to the features layer, but with much more raw geometry points. That could help a lot with mapping where current orthophoto or satellite imagery is not (yet) available, or where trees cover the top view. Those points would either have object color or be colored according to machine learning classification. My hope would be that one can see structures from this new map layer, but of course I am not sure if this actually can work.

Hey, @SviMik has done some really inspiring work. We have no plan or capacity on Mapillary side to build anything like this but as always I am able to help answer questions on developer resources.

1 Like

Turns out someone is building this already: https://www.pixel8.earth/

Hi.

For a while I have seen a strange behaviour of the JOSM Mapillary plugin: some, but not all traces have erratic deviations if compared with the same trace on the Mapillary.com site, in iD, in RapidiD.
Using JOSM 17919 and Mapillary plugin v2.0.o-alpha.36* on Windows 10.

What’s going on?

Example image 216510033317014.

Attached:

• Screenshot Mapillary site
  • Screenshot JOSM
  • Screenshot iD

1 Like

My experiments show that It’s the other way around: the “good” coordinates are the original positions (geometry) and the “bad” ones come from computed_geometry.

Looks like this particular case is a problematic 3d scene reconstruction which caused the computed locations to go a bit haywire. Not a bug but just a bad outcome. They should not be so drastically different so this sequence is getting a deeper look, but many things could cause this (camera angle issues, corrupted data, other things, can’t be sure until we dive in).

I believe the JOSM plugin actually defaults to the computer locations, and in the settings menu for the plugin you can choose which is default and change it. Let me know if you see that working.

And… gone. Bought by snap and apparently closed down. At least facebook kept the lights on at mapillary after their acquisition, that’s a huge plus.

1 Like