New Galileo service set to deliver 20 cm accuracy

Does someone already use a dual frequency smartphone ?

1 Like

Might also be worth a look at using an SDR/gnuradio. Seems to need a reasonable SDR RF front end though, but have seen some discussion using cheap USB dongles…

I already use a dual-frequency receiver (u-blox F9P) with the centipede RTK network.

For HAS, 20 cm accuracy is the convergence target in less than 300 seconds.

(source: https://www.unoosa.org/documents/pdf/icg/2021/Tokyo2021/ICG_CSISTokyo_2021_05.pdf)

The target seems to be with Galileo only and float convergence algorithm. With GPS+Galileo (without iono correction, not available in HAS Phase 1) and optimized algorithm, one may go down to 3 cm (horizontal) in about 2 mn.

1 Like

It’s surprisingly difficult to get good quality GPS devices. Most of them don’t support the full accuracy of the GPS/Gallileo services available.
You end up having to spend hundreds on dedicated GPS hardware that is impractical to use.

Around 2000, we paid hundreds of euros/dollars for an outdoor GPS like Magellan Meridian for myself. Even in 2015, I bough my Etrex 30 for 200 €.

It costed my about 400 € to build my ublox F9P RTK datalogger (incl. antenna) following this project:

2 Likes

Dear @Eric_S ,

Thank you for your link to what looks like a thorough guide to assembling and getting to work an RTK logger;
having read it came to realise such a project beyond my abilities in the field of electronics - which is valuable!! - although unfortunately not progress beyond what is offered by the currently used Garmin eTrex 10 - which turns out to produce more accurate track than the Oregon 700.

Met vriendelijke groet, (Dutch for ‘with friendly greeting’)

Dear @Eric_S ,

Thank you for posting/ reminding that the very high ‘cm’ accuracy of Galileo and Galileo+GPS will only be achieved after perhaps two to five minutes; inserting the graphs gives some indication of increasing accuracy in function of (a longer) time spent measuring : measure one point for minutes -rather than seconds when taking a still photo- is unlikely, especially when travelling at any practical speed, hence ought to entertain lower accuracy expectations.

Met vriendelijke groet,