Samsung S24 Ultra

I bought my previous smartphone 6 years ago, just before the first dual frequency smartphone was available.
My new smartphone showed an accuracy of 1.1 meter.
For this I used this geodetic point =

Do not shake it, I don’t know if I can map it in ID.

One of the GNSS apps downloaded data? just before the photoshoot.
I was there already for two minutes.
The weather was cloudy.

The result in the GPSTest database is =

Manufacturer Model Name Android version API level GNSS hardware year GNSS hardware model name Dual-frequency Supported GNSS GNSS CFs Supported SBAS SBAS CFs Raw measurements Carrier phase (getAccumulatedDeltaRangeMeters()) Navigation messages NMEA Inject Predicted Satellite Data Service (PSDS) Inject time Delete assist RESERVED RESERVED Automatic gain control GnssAntennaInfo App version name App version code App build flavor User location country code Date Date (ISO 8601 UTC format) Android software (Incremental) build Android software codename Number GNSS antennas GNSS antenna CFs Device
Samsung SM-S928B Galaxy S24 Ultra 14 34 2023 Qualcomm GNSS GEN9 SUPPORTED GPS, GALILEO, BEIDOU B1, B1C, B2a, E1, E5a, L1, L5 EGNOS L1 SUPPORTED NOT_SUPPORTED NOT_SUPPORTED SUPPORTED SUPPORTED SUPPORTED SUPPORTED NOT_SUPPORTED 3.10.3 24097 google BE 02/07/2024 02:23:32 PM (GMT) 2024-02-07T14:23:32Z S928BXXU1AWM9 REL e3q

A few screenshots =

If you want me to do a special test, just ask it, it is near my home.

1 Like

That 1.1 meter is the Mapillary position. But that is another story, too complicated for me.

Yes, everything was on. I thought I could use all help available.

I am Flemish, we are talller than the Walloons.

1 Like

I also recently replaced an 8 year old single-band phone (Galaxy S7) with a year old dual-band phone (Pixel 7). Its current-gen GNSS chipset should be comparable to Samsung’s, although it’s Broadcom rather than Qualcomm (not that I think anyone could tell any difference in consumer-grade electronics). I’m in NE Europe, so satellite coverage is also similar. I’ve only been on a couple trips so far, but the overall resulting GPX track seems to be noticeably better for me than before. I imagine it’s a combination of newer GNSS chipset, software processing and of course dual-band. This is somewhat anecdotal evidence because I haven’t done any side-by-side comparison tests, but I did go through the recoded tracks and compared their accuracy/precision and noise to my older tracks. One thing that immediately stands out is that it’s much better in obstructed and partly-obstructed environments, like passing between tall buildings, forested areas, under bridges, etc. My old GPS would jump all over the place and sometimes just fly off to Narnia. The new GPS remains almost as accurate as unobstructed view. This does match the “advertised” benefit of dual-band being able to filter out GPS reflections/errors. And I think there’s some corrective/predictive software processing involved (may be even using compass) as it sometimes slightly overshoots, but it is also able to follow small changes really well. I saw almost no difference in accuracy/precision in perfect conditions with unobstructed views (at least nothing I can tell without side-by-side comparison). However, it is immediately noticeable how any obstruction would cause old GPS to deviate while the new one remains accurate. Basically, under ideal conditions when GPS isn’t having any issues, it’s roughly the same as it was before. But it’s having a lot fewer issues now, which was the main problem for Mapillary recordings since most of the “important” locations are not obstruction-free.

As an example, here’s a location along a tall building with old and new GPS:

You can actually see me following the footways on the new GPS, while the old one only had to handle one service road turn and it still failed miserably.

Oh nice, that looks promising! Thanks for sharing your experience!

I have also 5G coverage, I avoid Brussels.

So with the best smartphone in the world half of my Mapillary app pictures have to be deleted.
Deleting does not work.
So I tried Solocator.

But here Mapillary outsmarts me =

Edit = I was wrong.
Edit 2 = “Planckendael” in the picture is the name of the project I added in Solocator.

Placename and streetname in the picture stamp.

I remember I could do that with my previous phone. Now it does not seem to work.
Those seven digit coordinates can be used in court, but are not handy for daily use.