Mapillary joins Facebook

I just tested, just add that last replace line (just below line 155):

sequence_name = (
    sequence["properties"]["captured_at"]
    + "_"
    + sequence["properties"]["created_at"]
)
sequence_name = sequence_name.replace(":", "_")
2 Likes

Since Iā€™ve actually started downloading already Iā€™m now using krename to rename them, but thanks :slight_smile:

As far as I can see the images get downloaded without any geolocation, right? Is there any way to get the corresponding locations as well?
Iā€™ve taken most of my imagery with the Mapillary app and never saved the gpx tracks that it stores temporarily.

That would be very bad.
I do not intend to delete them, but I would like them safe in an archive.

the downloads contains the Exif data with geolocation. Just try to upload some of those downloaded files with the webuploader for review and see them placed correctly.

2 Likes

I receive publicity from all extremist parties in my FB account. But what worries me more is that I also receive publicity for diapers.

Alright, Iā€™ll check it out later, I didnā€™t see them when checking yesterday. Thanks again!

IMO itā€™s useless archiving the images if theyā€™d have no geolocation. They were taken specifically for the purpose to be attached to a location and be viewed on a map, by mappers for example. Without geotags theyā€™re just random scenery pictures to me.

That is what I said.

Ooh yeah now Iā€™ve got you.
I misunderstood your ā€œThat would be very badā€ (as in it would be bad if the images did have geolocation attached). Sorry.

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to store all those pictures locally. I see that filipc has contributed over 12,8 million photoā€™s. If every photo is around 12 MP or 36 MB storage room, than you need 460 terrabyte storage. Although there is probably some compression in place.

The images Iā€™ve downloaded are between 1.5 and 4 MB large, varying by phone (Iā€™ve taken pics with Galaxy S7, LG G6, P20 Pro and Mi 9 all with the Mapillary app plus a few 360 images).
If weā€™re taking 2.7MB as the average, at 12.8m images that would be 34.5 TB. Still a lot but downloading from Mapillary and uploading somewhere else would be doable over time, with a 4-8TB drive youā€™d need 4-9 runs.
If he actually wants to archive them locally then yeah, he will need a few big drives.

Iā€™m lucky I only have 339k images so far. They all fit in a 1TB drive.

What a disaster this isā€¦ I have spent hundreds of hours building something great that leans on Mapillary for quite a bit if the experiences. And now I read this.

With what I am building privacy is a serious thingā€¦ This seriously ruins my plansā€¦ :pensive:

I compress all my files to 1.5 Mb, since its an archive from the past with limited emotional value with as main target to facilitate mapping and watch my bicycle trips on a map. (Maybe I will never find an alternative to upload these files). They are not family picturesā€¦

Yes, if I were to keep them Iā€™d compress them too I think. However my current plan is to just reupload everything on OSC so Iā€™ll just have them on my pc temporarily.

I am thinking more of an institute as the National Archive or Library or Geographical Institute to donate the pictures to.

2 Likes

That is a good idea actually!

Iā€™ve thought about uploading to archive.org too.
But I assume youā€™d have to ask them before; currently there are 240k community images, adding hundreds of thousands (or in your case, 12 millions!) of pictures would just flood the image archive.

That gives a ā€œRaw image dumpā€ feelingā€¦ there is much added value with the whole thing projected (correctly) on a mapā€¦

3 Likes

Ok, my heartā€™s rate has gone down now, breath in, breath outā€¦ I found the original post announcing this, itā€™s a good read:

What I am missing is a (good & trustworthy) story concerning privacyā€¦ I trusted Mapillary with thisā€¦ I donā€™t trust Facebook with (my) privacy. In this dealā€¦ is there anything there that could change my trust issues in this matter?

Mapillary? @katrin, @eneerhut, @Anders, @jesolem?

When Facebook will be bought by the Chinese, then I will worry.

Right, try to explain this to a city council, or even worse, after you have convinced the city council or a highway authority to contribute to Mapillaryā€¦now Facebook. :sweat::fearful:

1 Like