Looking at GoPro Hero 7 / accuracy / workflow

I have good hope that a full, time consuming format on the desktop computer of the SD-card solves the problem.
I am now 1 day and 50.000 pictures problem free.

After copying the SD files to the desktop computer, I reinserted the SD card in the camera.
At first the beepbeepbeep took time. But that improved after 15 minutes.

I can say that Gopro shows high accuracy of gps in urban areas against my smartphones. Initially, I was skeptical about the quality of gps in it. I use it for the front view, the rest of the gadgets for the lateral directions. I am very sorry for the breakdown of http://legacy.mapillary.com/map/upload/vi and now it is a only source of super-quality sequences.
As I noticed, the time is displayed correctly only for sequences from the mobile application.

1 Like

on the topic of smart remote and timelapse photo - I’ve just done some very limited testing, but it seems to work.
after some more testing, I can confirm that smart remote works as expected and is very convenient.
the only problem is getting a reliable gps fix on the cameras sometimes, so occasionally I might have to revert to the clunky mapillary app and the external bt gps module

Hi all

Does anybody know what is the gps refresh rate of gopro hero 7 black? I do not expect to much that it would be 10Hz. But with 1Hz refresh rate and continuous photo capturing mode every 0.5s 2 photos could have the same gps position because the position wasn’t updated yet.

Interest Ask. Even more interesting hertz in this matter. I noticed that with an interval of half a second gp begins to heat up and this mode is “overtime” (over-ideal) with respect to the requirements of the mapillary. I only have a positioning failure at the beginning of the launch, and this is normal for any gps devices.
I’ll try the half-second mode with you.

All of the images you see here are taken with 0.5 second interval between capture.

Presumable up to 10hz https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/UBX-M8030_ProductSummary_(UBX-15029937).pdf
Refresh rate isn’t everything though, but I’ve had good experience with the gps in hero2018/5

Thanks for the info.
Anyway, I decided to buy garmin virb ultra 30. Already testing.

I did not format the 128 G SD-card for some days and I received a SD Card Full message.
The number of pictures is = 103.556 Files, 115 Folders

The camera often stalls when I try to stop the capture. But it seems that pressing the side button is enough to get it out of its sleep. I did not have to remove the battery as I used to do.

1 Like

People using the remote for Gopros, which one do you use?
The official one at https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/smart-remote/ARMTE-002.html seems crazy expensive…

I used the official one. But it was not necessary, my car has automatic gear. So while others fiddle the poke, I push the shutter. My arm is long enough.
All of this in the past of course.

I use the official one with a GoPro Hero 5. Agree the price is high but I got mine 2nd hand. It works but seems pretty buggy, it will frequently drop the connection and then fail to re-connect unless I force it to power off (a very long press on the power button) and then power it back on. This is with the remote in the car with me and the camera mounted externally above me on roof racks. Total distance between them is <2m but a bit of a tough wifi environment with the metal roof between them. Not sure if this is just my remote (unlikely) or a firmware bug.

older fake ones were incredibly buggy and unstable. Newer ones might be better.
The original one also drops out sometimes, but generally is a better choice IMO

Manual press is not feasible with some camera positions, while at higher speed or in winter :confused:

I’m seeing similar behaviour with with the Gopro phone app - it often disconnects, fails to connect and overall is not a reliable way to control the camera.
Sounds like the issue might be more with the protocol/cameras then.
If the cameras had a mode where they take pics only when moving that would solve most of this problem…

I propose that Facebook takes over Gopro.

1 Like