Gopro MAX 2 interval mode stopping randomly

I used a gopro max 2 while walking. I set it to interval, 2 seconds, as recommended.
I started the camera via the app.
However, multiple times, I found that it stopped without any apparent reason, so I lost a good part of my images.
As I held it on a stick above my head, I not see why that was, I just checked in with the app and found no capture was going on.
Did anyone have the same experience? Any idea what mistake I could have made, or what setting or technique would avoid that problem?

2 Likes

Thanks, that gave me another idea: I didn’t notice any lockup. However I did notice GPS missing for large parts. So maybe in my case it is power loss due to to a similar issue with battery contact, leading to a reboot. Then, as soon as I notice, I start recording again, but GPS fix takes more time? I will watch out in my next walks.

If that should be the case, I’d be quite disappointed, because some robustness against vibration and shock is exactly what I had hoped for in an “action cam”

1 Like

Loose contact hasn’t occured to me, the battery is firmly placed. Maybe it’s indeed a mode issue, I always record in video and don’t have any issues, even when recording for 5 hours straight.

You can use my program if you want for processing the videos and uploading to Mapillary, you can adjust the sample distance, for on foot is 2 or 3 meters a good setting. Releases · TheWizardbc/GoPro_Workflow · GitHub

1 Like

Have you checked if you have the same problem with other SD cards?

MAX camera may have different construction, but if its the same as regular GoPros, this shouldn’t be a reason unless the SD housing is defective. Personally, I only film with external power bank and no battery inserted in camera, so there is no “pressure” at all for SD housing. And I have it mounted on a bicycle, so it’s basically non-stop vibration. Obviously, this is just my experience, so who knows.

I’ve had pretty much all GoPros hard-lock up on me at one point or another. But most of the time it just announces that “SD card is too slow”, which is just a useless generic message. I always blamed SD cards (like everyone else in forums), but after replacing cameras a few times, I now blame the camera itself wearing itself out because the same SD cards I had for years work perfectly fine in the new cameras. I am tempted to blame their power circuitry gradually failing.

1 Like

I just found this topic on mapillary forum. I got the Max2 from Camera Grant Program, just some weeks ago, and I am still facing this issue. Firmware 1.30. It must be a bug in the firmware. Here is a thread from GoPro suport forum where I also posted and shared my tests. Hope it will be fixed. There are a number of users sharing the same experience on the GoPro forum, especially the last weeks. Maybe some more that got the camera from Mapillary just like me?

All I can say is that I had trouble with MAX stopping or crashing basically ever since I had received it. I have updated the firmware and tired different SD cards, filesystems, partition layouts, batteries, etc. Nothing really helped. Photo time lapse mode at ≥ 1s usually worked fine. 0.5s photo time lapse mode and video mode was a gamble. One could only wish for stable white balance, no matter whether in auto or manual mode. Things usually got worse with high outdoor temperatures and when the camera got hot. My final suspicion is that electrical contacts between removable parts, like SD card ↔ card slot and battery ↔ battery compartment, disconnect when metal gets hot. Vibrations do the rest. However, I have no evidence for this. This is just my best guess comparing to Canon’s solutions and build quality.

Just for comparison: Ironically, my made in :japan: 15 year old Canon PowerShot tourist camera with a mechanical zoom lens works perfectly fine to this very day with the original SD card and original battery. For me, the verdict is quite clear. It all comes down to design and manufacturing quality. Hence, it may well be that your particular MAX2 came imperfect off the production line. :person_shrugging:

So far, I have not experienced similar issues with my MAX2. Let’s hope it stays this way.

Just use TimeWarp (5x for walking, 2x for cycling), that’s stable.

Yes, I am currently using Timewarp to be stable. But the disadvantage for me is that I can only upload the videos and then use the results from the Mapillary website. I use kubuntu as OS, and I did not find a way to convert the videos to something any ubuntu player would take. I tried some tools and scripts, like max2sphere, gopromax-conversion-tools but could not make it. @TheWizard you have written some conversion tools as well, but they can only be used with windows right? Or is there a way I can use them on linux command line?

If I could use 2 sec picture interval, I would be able to select or delete pics before upload, and use them locally for OSM mapping.

Yes, it is windows based, but the program itself is python, you can make modifications to use it under Linux based systems. The long term plan is to support Linux/MacOS, but for now I have other priorities unfortunately.

Porting to Linux will just not be possible as is. The most crucial step in that tool, the 360°-Gopro-EAC-to-equirectangular-conversion still seems to require GoPro Player?

Btw. I noticed something very unusual: Why do you publish the source as “releases” instead of actually managing it in the git?