Experience with Mobile Devices and Mapillary app

I have an S7 Edge with a case, and as long as I keep cold air blowing through the defrost vent, usually on speed 1, I can shoot for hours without overheating.

As for that workaround you want, it already exists.
For timed captures, there is a delay setting under Settings->Camera that you can use to reduce the photo interval to help avoid overheating. If you’re doing distance captures, just increase the distance interval.

2 Likes

““As for that workaround you want, it already exists.
For timed captures, there is a delay setting under Settings->Camera that you can use to reduce the photo interval to help avoid overheating. If you’re doing distance captures, just increase the distance interval””

I have to admit, I haave not tried what you suggest.
I just changed the settings as you suggested, when it gets light I will be trveing some untapped roads. The Leeds are just coming out on the trees, this is one of the prettiest times of year…
I’ll give this a try.
Thanks.
I’ve been looking for what gives the best stitched pictures not what the phone/camera was happy with.
In the morning I’ll try this.

Hi!

About heating - it depends on the case, the situation and the weather.
HTc One m9 did heat up very fast, needed to shadow down the display to lowest brightness and 4sec intervall to do steady sequences, but battery went out fast after 1-2 hours :frowning:
The Honor 7 64GB is quite fine with 1 sec intervall steady for 2-3h in usual case, I use a bike mount and case.

The One+ 3T gets warm, but not too much, does 1sec intervall steady for 2-4h, depends on situation.
In all these three, the Honor 7 is the best so far.
But if you choose your mobile sane,you can get lots of pictures. I can do 3500 pictures/hour, with a external power source I fill the 64GB honor 7 in a few hours.1h with 1sec intervall does produce 15GB data, which needs to be uploaded, too.

Amiga4000 (currently uploading 8k pics from weekend)

how long took your upload of 8k pics? I have <100kbit/s:-(

8000 would take over night for one phone with just a single cell tower.
If you go to a college town where they have more cell towers than data, you might upload 8000 in about an hour.
I find college town’s during the summer with no students are a great places to upload fast.

1 Like

Hi
As I do upload with my cable 10Mbit, it just takes a few hours until it is done. WiFi is great.

1 Like

Here’s a list of preferred Android devices:

Samsung Galaxy S8
Huawei P10 Lite
Samsung Galaxy A3 - 2017 version

These are the devices we have selected to focus on, one high-end, one mid, and one low-end. The list will expand and change over time. It has not been communicated on the website etc yet. With very limited resources we can’t guarantee the app to work on ALL Android versions and devices so we are focusing on these three. It should work on other devices too ofc, but these three are the ones we are focusing on.

I would include a device with dual frequency GNSS reception.

Considering it’s only been out for a bit and there is not a single one in the OSM telegram group (or on this forum IIRC) it seems suboptimal.

Some iOS feedback: own profile photos page almost never works, map is sometimes stuck on one bbox when capturing

The list will grow/change over time, but it will always consist of phones that are common and easy to purchase in most regions.

Noted on the iOS bug!

But I do mind when a picture marker shows up on the wrong side of the road.

there are bluetooth/plugin gps modules available, as well as devices with better gps capability for logging a track and merging with photos. I know these are half-measures, but let’s be realistic here, the fact that this startup still somehow hasn’t ran out of money paying to host all these photos is already surprising. The app will most likely work on that xiaomi phone anyway.

What would be more relevant for the mobile app is support for direct gps feeds from external gps units. I think Android can do it through location device spoofing using the external gps data, but on iOS you need to use the unit maker’s SDK (Dual/Bad Elf). There was a topic around here on these