Duplicates before interpolation disappears afterwards

There’s a huge discrepancy when uploading images and interpolating the the direction of the photos. Before interpolation Mapillary Uploader found 987 duplicates, but after interpolation there were only 127 duplicates in the dataset. Is this normal behavior? I would have uploaded photos as evidence, but I get an access denied error when I try to add the screenshots to this post.

Thanks for letting us know, we’ve disabled the client-side duplicate detection in the latest version of the uploader (2.0.4).

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s still disabled?

Because I feel like currently there will be a lot of people waiting at stoplights, being uploaded to mapillary, right?

Yes, it’s disabled due to several reports of incorrect duplicate marking.

If the feature would be useful in some cases, it could be possible to bring it back as a user-configurable option in the upload settings.

1 Like

Duplicate detection in desktop uploader would be very useful!

I’m currently using the CLI tools for two main reasons:

• duplicate detection
  • ability to use external .gpx track (incl. offset) for geotagging

I still check the result in the desktop uploader though, so if duplicate detection, .gpx geotagging and preview could all be done in the desktop uploader, that would be a huge help in making Mapillary more accessible and would also help with quality of the uploaded sequences, I think.

1 Like

I agree with @paulb having the duplicate detection be an option in the desktop uploader would be nice. (I guess being able to check which images it thinks are duplicates and letting us verify would be nice.) But just having the option alone would be nice