Data sync with OpenStreetCam

I’m mapping my town for both OSM and Mapillary, not for a specific company but for the wider public. With this in mind I’d like to ensure that my pictures are used by as many people and projects as possible, so adding them to OSC sounds like a good idea.

Since I’ve already uploaded a lot of pictures to Mapillary and use this app as my main way of recording, and apparently the API will let me download my original images for which I am the copyright holder, presumably there’s no legal boundary to me downloading my own images from Mapillary and uploading them to OSC.

Has anyone got a workflow for this? Ideally a script I can run somewhere every few weeks and it’ll sync my Mapillary stuff into OSC.

I often upload to both, and I can confirm that photos taken with the Mapillary app will can be uploaded to OpenStreetCam via the python scripts without any additional processing.

However, I have only done this by making copies before the initial upload: I have never tried to download my already uploaded photos.

Your understanding is correct. On the OSC Github page, someone asked:

is one allowed to upload his Mapillary sequence to OSV :

• if she kept an original copy of the sequence on his hard drive ?
  • if he did not keep any original copy, but downloads it back from Mapillary through the API ?

And the Mapillary CEO responded:

- “if she kept an original copy of the sequence on his hard drive ?”

Yes. This is the simplest way. You retain full ownership and when you submit a copy to Mapillary you grant a license for Mapillary to use but no transfer of ownership.

- “if he did not keep any original copy, but downloads it back from Mapillary through the API ?”

Yes, this will work too. You can download the original file if you are the contributor. This is the exact file with EXIF and all, just as it was submitted and contains no watermark. You can download this from the viewer through the menu on the right-hand side if you are authenticated as the contributing username.
The first option is the best, by far. Even better would be not having to upload to two services, but I think we can all agree on that.
Uploading your photos that you previously submitted to OSV to Mapillary is of course also ok.

6 Likes