Buying a new 360° camera for mapillary capture

Hello @Thibaultmol I did purchased the Gopro max and used it a little with a " Delkin DDMNT-TRIPLE Fat Gecko Three-Arm Suction Mount". Being winter here and dark so early plus the fact it was -25 today I’ll be a little limited on out door collection.

I tried to up load directly to Mapillary and maybe it’s just my lack of skills but wasn’t able to get the video I have to upload or even be reconized. I need photo’s and if you are collecting on a truck the speed varies, so you need to collect via GPS and DMI, or video and extract photo’s from there.

I have purchased some software (2500 EUR) that will take GoPro Video and extract the GPS location and convert it to usable formats for Google Street view, Mapillary, and also Esri / layer managers. I will extract measurements inside the photo’s like Mapillary can and store them in GeoDatabases are my hopes… this winter xmass holidays should give me some time to test it out.

/cheers.

1 Like

thx for the update. Couldn’t you have used the same software as described here? Page not found

:money_mouth_face::astonished::flushed: wow… what software did you buy?

I just read that whole thread, they don’t seem to speak about video. Single picture collection work flow without a pps DMI system will give you uneven spacing.

I’ll see what my software does, it is supposed to take video and create spaced photos for results like Mapillary require.

Everything I hope to do, orthophoto creator, extract my own measurement, or produce a file to upload here for any client that’s wanting to pay for the extra services.

It has been a long time that we have not received anything from Mapillary. I suggest they next give us the measuring capability.

I love the platform concept but the money they want is to rich for my clients I’m going for I think. Still great to see what’s possible.

Hey Guys
It’s 2020 and I want to buy a 360 degree camera. It totally annoys me when I see that my iPhone only records what is in front of me. :wink:
But I don’t want to buy a device that is 2 years old (GoPro Fusion), there must be something better that gives me a good quality for Mapillary. Sure I don’t want to spend 2000$ for an Insta360 Pro2, which is too big for me.

What can you get for 500$ or less?

thx simon

sadly, not much has changed in the 360 world over the 2 years since Fusion came out.
Best cheap-er pocket camera you can get at the moment is Kandaoo Qoocam 8K, which would be around 500-600 currency units. It is the latest camera to hit the market, but don’t expect 8K on it to be the same 8K from an Insta Pro.
Since you’ve mentioned you want something smaller than a Pro, your options are quite limited. Best all round 360 camera for mapillary is likely still the Fusion, since it has gps you don’t have to add in post-proc, and image quality is acceptable.
Maybe you could postpone jumping into 360 capture, and get a gopro/virb type action camera that, while not 360, would still get you a wider FoV than a smartphone would. Some can be had for much less than 500

Hi 4004,
Thanks for your answer.
Buying a 2-year-old is crazy. At least for me. :smiley:
But I follow your recommendation and wait for a model with great quality,

thanks

considering how cheap they are getting it’s not too crazy. I have 2 but don’t have the time to set up and use them, so mostly fall back on the virb.
we might have to wait for a couple of years to get something decent

No one should buy a camera with two SD-cards, I knew too late.

1 Like

nothing wrong with 2 sd cards, apart from some extra processing time

1 Like

So are we still under the impression that the Fusion is the camera to buy still? Is there a step by step for how to setup that camera and how to upload to Mapillary? I’ve used my older Hero 5 Black as the external camera with my iPhone on the app, is it the same process?

there has not been much in terms of consumer 360 releases. Kandao Qoocam 8K is supposed to offer better images but lacks gps.
you can get in a good position with fusion setup by reading the forum. I think mapillary were promising a guide at some point

When cycling with an action cam, make 360 turns at places of interest such as public buildings.
That would help me a lot.

I would say a second hand Fusion is a great place to start. They can be picked up for around 120 EUR second hand on eBay. The second-hand market has slowed a bit due to the ongoing shutdowns, so might be worth waiting.

My only frustration with the Fusion is that you have to stitch (join front/back photos) on a computer, and it is a memory intensive process. More about that: DIY Google Street View (1/5): How I (Trek View) Started Capturing 360-Degree Tours | Trek View

1 Like

If you want a very good image quality, check the Xphase Pro (200MP, below 900$)

• Still image only, (no video)
  • No timelapse mode (but will be available later available since may 2020)
  • 4 to 7 seconds between each capture.

A small comparaison between Xphase, Theta Z1 and Qoocam 8K:
http://www.air-view.nl/360-camera-comparions/

wow, surprised again by the low level of detail in the Qoocam. That 8k looks like upscaled 4k from an LG.

Xphase is a great camera for the price, but that interval between images makes it unusable for vehicle-based capture, unfortunately. I’m waiting for pro 2, maybe they’ll manage a better isp pipeline

1 Like

Update:
So, I have my Gopro and Horus software. I’m able to record 4k video at 100 km/h down a road > Extract images (10 .jpg / second) with clear images. (better than I expected). My problem is the .jpg has no Exif, but rather a CSV file that breaks up the mp4 video and the 360 file GPS into records per photo.

Can anyone suggest a simple way to upload my images to Mapillary using a csv with Photo # as the id field?

CSV looks like this:
Photo 1 > Lat > Long
Photo 2 > Lat > Long

Image 1
Image 2

For all my other wants and needs this system is working great, but I thought I’d try to contribute to Mapillary because none of the places I am going are located here or on Google Earth street view yet.

I’m also able to use ArcGIS pro or Safe.com’s FME to combine the file to the exif if anyone has a work flow for that that isn’t manual picture by picture. 4500 photo’s / hour recorded. Up to 36,000 photo’s per hour driven.