Buying a new 360° camera for mapillary capture

you are spot on with your assumptions!
Ladybug is one of the main commercial 360 capture platforms, and it’s been around for a while

1 Like

Would be awesome to see some of those “Ladybug images” on Mapillary!

have a look at Lithuania - their roads agency uploaded ladybug imagery for most roads. I think it’s the older ladybug though

A, found it:

What is that in the image, some sort of GPS unit?

1 Like

My country is a tropical island, always an hot , very hot weather…

Yeah, I’d imagine it’s a gnss/rtk antenna of some sort

@javiersanp, the stitching is not that great, have you tried Hugin?
(color difference between the two images seems quite large in the link you shared… in my opinion the YI360 is better)

@sig_Stpierre, do keep in mind that there seem to be overheating problems with the gopro !

I tested the YI360 this summer a lot in quite extreme hot weather, so I don’t think it has anny isues with overheating.

The downside is the software… if only Mapillary could fix the communication problem of their app to the YI360… if that communication would work I dare to state that the YI360 is one of the best 360 cameras out there for that price ($159)

After reading all your really very useful comments, I will wait a few months and see if the new products at the beginning of 2020 are more convincing.
I find it difficult to offer my management a safe and reliable solution today. I am always listening to your respective comments and tests until our final purchase.

@eesger, You are right. I’m using hugin_executor (command line from Hugin) with a template. Sure I could personalize and improve the template, but I haven’t got success with this.

I’ll post a small “how did I…” in the Hugin thread to prevent going off-topic to much here

Thank you @eesger, it would be great!

if your timelines allows to wait until then, you might be interested in the qoocam 8K, which would be the best value in terms of image resolution per money spent.
It is, however, not clear whether it will be compatible with mapillary (eg timed capture), and there is no built in gnss

Looks promising indeed!

the qoocam is indeed very promising. if it can do everything that is announced it will be a great option. also it confirms my choice to wait some time to have a mapillary compatible device and with a contained price.

waiting in tech can be an eternal process. if you spot a well priced (~1k) insta pro, I’d buy that.
The compatibility of the qoocam with mapillary is very much questionable at this point

1 Like

ridiculous price for the xiaomi on amazon US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074JF2T6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_LXW4DbX7D05VM

1 Like

Look at PiSofttech Pilot Era. More robust than the Insta360 Pros.
Sad is that Mapillary does not accept Google Street View video mode captures.

it certainly is a great camera, but depending on how the new Qoocam performs, it is overpriced.

street view video capture is a lose/lose situation, since you lose visual fidelity and processing power

That camera costs $ 2799. The QooCam is to be around $ 650… the difference in price is huge… the difference in quality looks minimal

Any update on your GoPro Max ?