[bugreport] iOS 5.0.0: immediate crash [Solved]

Uploading a new build today, fingers crossed

1 Like

The new update is out, please try it out!

5.0.4 still crashes.
Any further debug info I could provide?

I got some crash logs wihih now makes sense. It crashes due to Apple Sign-in, which is not supported on 12.x. I also managed to get hold of an iPhone 6 which has 12.x on it, so now I can actually debug and fix without guessing. I hope I can have a real fix ready soon.

2 Likes

Really great news, thank you so much :slight_smile:
Eagerly looking forward to a new version to test.

5.0.5 still crashes :slight_smile:

New try today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay, good news - 5.0.6 starts up :slight_smile:
Thank you so much for the great effort.

A few issues that might already be discussed somewhere else:

a) Adding EXIF tags says “The images have been processed and can now be used by other applications”. Attempting to open any sequence errors out with “The sequence is locked”.
This prevents adding coords to images and using them in JOSM (to use them before processing is finished, or before auto-blur has obscured address numbers etc).

b) After processing, only size is shown, not image count. Any chance to keep count still?

c) I had a couple of sequences not fully uploaded before my copy automatically updated to 5.0.
These now don’t upload at all, showing some upload happening at first, then saying “0 of 2 sequences were successfully uploaded. Nice Work!”.

Yay!

a) That step is not necessary any longer, all the EXIF is stored during capture so you should be able to skip this step in the future

b) It’s a feature we are planning on implementing. Before it was easy to just count the jpegs, but now it’s one big fat binary file after conversion.

c) There are some problems with uploading of large files, I’m working on a new uploader.

a) Oh, I see - so that button will be removed?
To confirm, does this mean that we absolutely must save any images before even starting the upload, otherwise the originals are lost (converted for upload)?

b) I see, would be useful to have that - but how precise would it be (status-wise)?

c) Those were rather small sequences, one only had a couple of images even.
After some testing today, I see that somewhat large sequences got uploaded successfully, but those older ones still failed.
Could it be related to images being taken with the old version, then the app auto-updating, and somehow getting confused by the old images/sequences?

a) It’s still needed if you use an external camera
b) The image count would be accurate, or do you mean when? Don’t know yet, sorry.
c) The old sequences should be compatible, but don’t delete them, try the new uploader when it’s out. If you want me to have a look now, share a (small) sequence with me on Google Drive or similar and I can have a look what’s going on. It doesn’t have to be a full sequence, just a few photos should be enough.

Heya, so a big thank you for the recent changes - not only the app stopped crashing, those two stuck sequences were uploaded as well.
Also had a crash upon upload, but that got fixed on the same day I encountered it.
So far app also seems to perform better than for the past few years, but not sure whether it’s back to pre-slowdown performance - a bit afraid to test :slight_smile:

BTW, can both unprocessed and processed sequences now be transferred to a computer and uploaded with the CLI tools?

2 Likes

Heya, any thoughts on the question about the phone sequence uploading via a computer?

@Richlv Yes, you can transfer your images to PC and upload with DU or mapillary_tools?

Heya, thank you for the reply and sorry about the delay.
Is uploading possible for both processed and unprocessed sequences?
Is explicit EXIF tag adding still required for that?

@Richlv Unprocessed sequences can be transferred to PC. If you hit upload button, sequences will be converted to VRS file and it can be uploaded via DU.

VRS file: GitHub - facebookresearch/vrs: VRS is a file format optimized to record & playback streams of sensor data, such as images, audio samples, and any other discrete sensors (IMU, temperature, etc), stored in per-device streams of timestamped records.

Ah, thank you for that info, very good to know.
One missing thing is inability to upload processed sequences individually (does not allow to open them), which would be very useful in some cases on a slow connection.

1 Like