[bugreport] Image author info unavailable in the new API

According to Photo contributor username is no longer displayed, user filter doesn't work. · Issue #181 · JOSM/Mapillary · GitHub and #21002 (Mapillary plugin: image date/time and author missing) – JOSM , image contributor username is not available in the new API - and thus unavailable to data consumers like JOSM.

This is extremely limiting in some scenarios, where I would like to filter for, or filter out images by some user (myself or somebody else). In other cases, knowing the contributor allows to know what to expect quality/coverage wise.

Could this please be brought back soon?

5 Likes

Heya Mapillary team, any thoughts here?
Getting it back would be very helpful for the OSM plugin authors, otherwise they have to rework things constantly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dates are also important in order to know if new pictures must be taken.

2 Likes

Copyright information too! I was very surprised to find the IPTC information in the JPEGs almost empty only containing some unreadable binary “Special instructions”.
Isn’t the copyright information required to fulfill the Mapillary Terms of Use especially 3b CC BY-SA and CC BY-NC-SA?

1 Like

Any word on when or if this will be re-implemented? I want to get the mapillary to wikimedia commons uploader fixed, and part of what makes that a challenge is images require attribution to the original author. Considering that the images are all still Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike, it does not make much sense that the current API does not offer a way to return both the author username and an explicit reference to this license.

1 Like

Count me as another person in need of this feature.
Currenly I’m using a hacky solution doing a reverse engineered GraphQL request to get the creator username for an image.

1 Like

I’m curious to know how you do this if you don’t mind. It would make utilizing these images so much easier.

The call is a POST request against https://graph.mapillary.com/graphql
The post content is

$post_content = 'doc=query%20FetchImages(%24imageIds%3A%20%5BID!%5D)%20%7B%0A%20multifetch__MapImage(ids%3A%20%24imageIds)%20%7B%0A%20node%20%7B%0A%20altitude%0A%20atomic_scale%0A%20camera_parameters%0A%20camera_type%0A%20captured_at%0A%20compass_angle%0A%20computed_altitude%0A%20computed_compass_angle%0A%20computed_rotation%0A%20creator%20%7B%0A%20id%0A%20username%0A%20%7D%0A%20exif_orientation%0A%20height%0A%20id%0A%20merge_cc%0A%20mesh%20%7B%0A%20id%0A%20url%0A%20%7D%0A%20owner%20%7B%0A%20id%0A%20%7D%0A%20quality_score%0A%20sfm_cluster%20%7B%0A%20id%0A%20url%0A%20%7D%0A%20thumb(size%3ASIZE_2048)%20%7B%0A%20id%0A%20url%0A%20%7D%0A%20width%0A%20%7D%0A%20node_id%0A%20%7D%0A%7D&variables=%7B%0A%20%22imageIds%22%3A%20%5B%0A%20' . $start_id . '%0A%20%5D%0A%7D'

where $start_id is the image id. Also don’t forget to send an Authorization HTTP header; a possibility is to look into Web Inspector while using the Mapillary Web UI and use the same header as there.
Response is a somewhat complex JSON, the path to the username is something like

$data->{data}->{"multifetch__MapImage"}->[0]->{node}->{creator}->{username}
1 Like

Thank you! That is very helpful as at least a temporary solution.

I’m late to the party, but this is a big frustration of ours.

I wrote some of our findings here, that cover a similar workaround to that discussed above, should it be helpful

2 Likes

An update on this question - this has just been added to the Mapillary API to make this workflow possible.

You can now filter by user in the Mapillary API as well as by camera. Please take a look at the updated API documentation (note the “creator_username” “make” and “model” fields).

We hope this is helpful!

1 Like

Heya, with the changes in Mapillary API and mobile apps not supporting my workflows, I stepped a bit away from the forums - very happy to see that API has received some love :slight_smile:

JOSM developers are mentioning that some things potentially could still require further improvements, but will wait for confirmation from them.

1 Like