Best starter bike/car setup?

Hi there! I’m just getting started and need some advice:

1. I primarily cycle around town and plan on capturing imagery via the app from my Moto g5 Plus. I’m struggling to find a mount that allows for horizontal positioning and doesn’t obstruct the camera lens. Any recommendations?

2. Looking to make an initial investment in an action camera for the car. Any opinions on GoPro vs. Sony? Hood-mounted seems to provide better imagery than dash… But I’m scared of hitting a pothole at high speed and losing the camera! Ha! Any recommendations for a sturdy hood mount?

Hi @HappyMapper,

You can get a free mount for your bike from here - https://shop.mapillary.com/ which will get you started. I now use a GoPro Hero 7 Black for all my car capture and have it on a fixed mount that has been adapted from GarminVirb mounts. This is after trying a few cameras - Garmin Virb (not recommended), Virb XE (better but still had issues), Contour Plus 2 (low resolution).

If you were considering multiple cameras then be aware that GoPro app can only control ONE camera running time lapse images, but multiple for video which means more processing before uploading. I believe multiple Sony cameras can be controlled from a single app/button.

This thread has some great images of various approaches for vehicle mounts

Thanks @tastrax, just submitted my request.

Nice link & feedback about the cameras and setups, lots of great options to choose from. Will likely test GoPro Hero 7 Black and hood suction w/tether etc during a road trip to Yellowstone next month.

Hello HappyMapper,

My setup for bike capture is the free mount sent by Mapillary. Just a point to keep in mind : fixation is not strong enought so 2 times, my smartphone fell on ground. Now, the glass is broken and the phone is dead :rage:) You have to take care if you use bad roads and if you shake it. The best solution is to buy a real VTT mount For now, I did not find a good model with a position “face to the road”. So I continue with the mount sent by Mappilary but I added a simple lace fixed on phone and handlebar to prevent another accident…

1 Like

My phone has flown away even from such an attachment, more tightly holding. But I secured it in advance with a cord.

I can advise this grip:

The price is ridiculous, but the grip is good!

This is my walking setup:

(I placed a card at the spot the phone should be :wink: )
At the back (that brown piece of metal) you see a simple DIY counter balance for the grip and camera.
I bent the metal end until the pole remains well vertical holding the pole between two fingers. That way you have to pay hardly any attention to keep the camera correctly positioned. I extend the three parts of the pole when walking offcourse. I need to put a bit more weight at the bottom for more stability (the YI360 weighs quite a bit more then the LG360)

[edit]
A bit off topic, but this is the “selfy stick” you see in the picture: