Turn key solution

Is there a turn key solution for 360 capturing AND uploading? I’m cool with just capturing via the Mapillary app on my iPhone 11 Pro but I feel like there is much more I could be contributing.

I do not have a performance computer, still using my 2010 MacBook Pro. I’m ok with buying a $500 or so for some upgraded images to contribute but that’s about all I’m comfortable spending.

I’m not a total noob when it comes to computer but I am when it comes to Linux which is what I’ve seen as the “solution” for most people.

Any ideas or should I stick with what I’ve got an maybe snag another phone for more angle?

Thanks,

Matt

“turn key” would need to be an 360-camera able to perfectly communicate with the Mapillary app and do (near) perfect “on board stitching” I think.

The Qoocam 8k is a bit more then $ 500, but I do think/hope it to become the 360 cam for Mapillary.

PS: I at first thought that to become the YI360… but alas

@eesger just a somewhat unrelated question. What resolution is desirable for 360 and thus how large is an image file? Does stitching (say) 2 180deg images create an image degradation at each vertical edge? I note that in Australia the large number of files can make uploading a large expense and am curious as to what is acceptable,. (My BlackVue 4K’s come out between 600-1000KBytes, but they usually have large areas of compressible sky)

Well… the bigger the better… At a low resolution signs will not be readable and objects poorly distinguishable. The higher the resolution the better the experience…
My YI does 5.7k, the Qoocam does 8k. And with what I have seen the image sensor is of good quality, so more pixels is more detail…

Equi rectangular images (what is used here) is a method to use a “flat” image and project it onto the inside of a sphere… that’s what you see. The downside is that the amount of pixels on the horizon are just as much as the amount of pixels used for the one pixel at the “South and North pole”. So technicaly there is about a 1/3 (I guess) of data wasted in the projection method… But no one has come up with a better way of doing this…

The result of a 360 degree image is… well an image… the same as your Blackview, the result is a JPG image with all the benefits of compression…

I’m doing my 360° captures with a LG 360° cam. The resolution is not very big but the mapillary app knows the camera and the handling of the camera and the pictures is not much more complicated than with an integrated camera.

Example pictures: Mapillary

Only problem: The LG 360° cam is no longer on the market. You may find old ones on ebay.

I’ve got one. Bought it second hand, make a descent offer and I’ll send it to you :wink:

Are the LG, GoPro and the QooCam all “connect to phone” and go? Then upload from the phone when I get back to WiFi?

Reading the forum it seems like you need to have GPS on the cam and then stitch and more fun stuff. I’m looking to capture/upload the same way I currently am via the iPhone. If these three 360cams work this way then the hardest part will be mounting and battery life

360 capture is generally not a turn-key solution, you have to accept either mounting, stitching, gps metadata merging or other challenges. LG 360 was the closest we got to turn key, but its resolution is very low, and I found it to be very buggy (or maybe it was the app).
Connecting a gopro/virb to the app is a bit easier, but the step of image transfer to the phone is horrendously long.
If you capture while driving, and mostly drive forward, you might find a standalone gopro (with gps) or garmin virb slightly easier. Your mbp still has an sd card slot, so uploading isn’t too bad. You will need to click one button in the sequence editor on the web after uploading from a gopro though

1 Like