Mobile apps: how we stopped using them

Yep, I use it for action camera uploads - it is overkill, in my opinion, to have to use a whole computer to upload a few photos which are already on a device that is capable of connecting to the internet and using Mapillary APIs.
I’ve seen multiple homebrew Android apps for upload from camera roll, so I think you and I can both agree this is a valid use case that is not supported

1 Like

Hi @4004 - noted for the roadmap! Note that it should also be technically possible to install mapillary_tools on an Android phone if you want to try that as another workaround. Here is the documentation and forum thread.

1 Like

Thanks. Sadly, I have iOS on the main devices. Was thinking of setting up a small box running Linux or Windows for that purpose, but then that’s not really a mobile workflow…

Previously there was the theoretical possibility of using the web uploader (although I reported that it didn’t retain coords in exif), so I guess even a basic one page upload page would be more useful to me than the current app workflow

1 Like

I see, thanks again for the feedback 4004. On iOS uploading is actually a little bit challenging because Apple restricts background operations, so you have to have the Mapillary app opened and in the foreground for uploads to succeed. The desktop uploader doesn’t have that restriction, so while it is a bit of friction, it may still be something to consider. We have noted your feature request for the future!

1 Like