GoPro launches new Labs firmware for GoPro Hero action cameras (7/8/9 Black and Max)

GoPro has launched a new ‘advanced’ firmware for Hero 7 / 8 / 9 Black and Hero Max action cameras, available here:

New features include:

Camera Motion Triggers: Leverage the camera’s accelerometer and/or gyroscope to start/stop capture only when the camera is in motion, preserving storage and battery.
USB Power Triggers: Your GoPro can start/stop capture when USB power is detected, enabling USB-triggered functions such as serving as a dash cam.
Motion Detection Enhancements: Motion detection is now supported in all video modes, including 360° motion detection on MAX, with improvements to the sensitivity range.
Simplified Live Streaming QR Code: Program GoPro to start live streaming within seconds of being connected to a designated Wi-Fi network.
Single-Setting/One-Button Mode: Enable a one-button mode where the operator can only start/stop capture, making it impossible to accidentally change camera mode. This is designed to capture critical events.
New Exposure Modes: Set timed exposure lock and minimum shutter speed settings.
New QR Code Controls: QR code controls supported in 5K and HindSight capture for HERO9 Black.

Once updated, most options must be configured via QR codes. A list of QR codes and a generator is available here: https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/

I have two Hero 7 black cameras and some of these features look quite interesting. I don’t have the time to perform a thorough testing but would like to hear from someone else here who does…

My main concern with my Hero 7 Black is still reliability, since sometimes I get no GPS info on pictures. As someone said here it’s probably have to do with the SD card, but I have no way of telling.

Have a great day!

3 Likes

older cameras probably don’t have the power to run these, but I’d have tried out motion detection - don’t have to remove the traffic light stops in post

1 Like

I have gopro black 7
I tried GPS speed activation. It is just starting and i need to stop manually. And Its just doing it once then need to reconfigure with QR again so no really usefull. It should start/stop when speed drops down to under configured (5kmh?). Will test other options (gyro motion activation)

1 Like